Question about smog tests for those with techstream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently failed a smog test on my 99 LX470 where the smog tech said that the computer wasn't ready, this happens when history is deleted from a battery disconnect or by manually clearing codes. I disconnected the battery months ago and have driven quite a bit since then so I'm surprised this is happening. He thinks there may be a problem with the computer. When I connect to techstream all of the systems are highlighted in yellow indicating status unknown, is that the case for everyone? I am able to get live data when I open a specific area, so that is working. I'm just not sure if I can use Techstream to tell me when the vehicle is ready for smog. Thanks for your help.

How many miles have you driven it since the reset? Typically need to start and run it quite a few times to get checks on all the readiness monitors.

It’s probably been 300 miles. With the lockdown I haven’t been driving much but I have take a couple of 120 mile trips.

It’s probably been 300 miles. With the lockdown I haven’t been driving much but I have take a couple of 120 mile trips.
How many cycles (turn on, run, turn off)? It can take some time, and multiple cycles, to get the readiness monitors squared away for smog testing. I’d think 300 miles would be sufficient, but readiness is primarily contingent on the number of cycles during that period.

Last edited:
there are states, more specifically counties that require that of 20 plus year old cars? That's silly.

there are states, more specifically counties that require that of 20 plus year old cars? That's silly.
Couple of counties in Arizona do...Those of us in the greater Phoenix area have to deal with it on a bi-annual basis. Can be an enormous PIA for vehicles with 1st gen OBD system.

Had the same issue last week with a '99 LX470. Appears the diagnostics the computer needs to run is more dependent on on/off cycles rather than miles driven. I did a few cycles of start up, idle, 10-15 min of driving (both 20-40mph and 55+), idle, shut off, then after 15 min start up and scan with an OBDII that can check for smog test readiness. After 4-5 cycles of this the reader said the computer was ready and it passed the smog test no issues.

That is what I need I guess is a scanner that can test for smog readiness. It does not appear that I can check this with Techstream which is kind of surprising considering everything that Techstream can do.

That is what I need I guess is a scanner that can test for smog readiness. It does not appear that I can check this with Techstream which is kind of surprising considering everything that Techstream can do.
Techstream does it.

Can you elaborate on that? How do I determine smog readiness in techstream?
The Results column on the Cumulative Monitor tab for Engine. Each row will say Complete, Pass, Available, Fail, etc. to denote the status of your monitors.
5705BD8C-87D4-463E-B844-51FF83792819.jpeg

Also, here’s the process for running the cycles to get your monitors completed: https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/drive-pattern-pdf.674181/

Still no luck after the drive cycles. I am trying a couple bottles of "CRC guaranteed to pass".

Still not showing ready. The catalyst is showing zero on the test value. Does this indicate an issue?

6EFA1A26-DFAD-4D5B-854D-8DC6E6D86588.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom