Question about separating a birfield from a front axle shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I must have separated at least 50 birfields from axle shafts but I currently have a pair that came from an 87 axle that do not want to come apart. The method I've used successfully 100% of the time in the past is to hold the axle shaft tightly in my bench vise and using a 1" diameter steel punch and a big hammer I drive the birfield off the shaft. Never failed before.......... but I am stumped this time. I know I'm getting older and weaker but darn I have been trying this (previously successful) method without getting them apart. Both the short side and long side present the same problem. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Gary

sounds like your doing it right. Guess the snap ring is froze?
1606946023941.png

While I do not have a piece of appropriately sized tubing here I did enjoy the video. The method I've always used is shown in the post by g-man. Guess I'll be looking for some pipe I'm guessing 1 1/4 or 1 1/2.

FWIW, I've had better success with a brass hammer when a punch wouldn't convey enough energy and I didn't have a good piece of pipe

I used a piece 1-1/2" sch 40 aluminum pipe I had. 1-1/4" should work fine too.

@shmukster I tried the PVC route and that failed miserably, I tried the brass drift and hammer. That also failed miserably.

A 4' 1 1/2 steel pipe from Home Depot did the trick on the second smash. Just put a rag/tshirt in the bottom to catch the shaft.

Good luck!!

I've always used a steel pipe.

I can bring one next weekend that you can have if you'd like. Now that you're retired, you can't steal stuff from work as easily :)

Steel pipe for me also. I did have one that even with black pipe dropped off the roof of barn still wouldn't separate. Ended up warping then end of the pipe but no go on separation.

I just separated mine with a piece of pipe also works best if you have a piece of 1/2” plate steel to drop it down on too 😎

On a side note I think you need more bran in your diet give Bob a call 😁🤣

Gary: bring it next weekend and we can get the collective mind trust to will that thing off.

@bkfj40 can break anything apart.

:lol:
yep bring them next weekend and we can get them apart if you havent by then.
and yes BK can break anything

So easy with this trick :

You may also be interest to know how to reinstal it :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom