Question about rear lighting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought my first FJ40, so I am really new to these trucks. I tried to do a search of the forum and find this out on my own, but no luck.
The PO of my FJ decided to remove the rear bumper and replace it with a huge piece of jagged angle iron. I want to remove this hunk of steel and get the rear looking like it did originally, or close to original. From all of the pics I did find, I believe that I should only have 2 round tail / turnsignal lights. No reverse light. But I'm not sure, because I have the reverse switch on my column shifter linkage? So my question is... what should the original light set up be on my FJ? And I found a pic of rear marker lights, I don't have these. Are these rear marker lights on this pic of a 78 original & should my truck have them? I have a 1971, anyone have pics or the original set up for that year?
05_12_sb.JPG

P.S. That pic is from a Cruiser on sale at Ebay, it's up to 8k now, I think I got mine for a steal when I see them going for that much. :)

On my '71 there is a single reverse light about a foot up on the drivers side, above the tail light. I'll go and take a pic later unless someone posts one first.

Thanks Math, I can't say I've ever seen one with the reverse light set up you described. Any idea on those little red sidemarker lights? Should a 71 have those as well?

Yeah, 71 will have the red rear marker lights above the rear 1/4 panels. and one rear reverse light that is on the driver side, I pulled mine when I put in the diamond plate, I will send it to you if you need it.

One wire on Each red rear marker light. They gound to one of the posts where they bolt into the body. I can snap some photos this week if needed.

Warren.

My 71's rear

Here's what mine looks like. Jan 71, has the reverse light above the toyota emblem. My bumper had the round lights on the end but they were beat to crap, and it was cheaper to weld up a new bumper and add new lights than to replace the old ones. Also no marker lights, no locking gas cap either.

Les

Last edited:
Mine does have the square side markers, just not the little round reflectors in the rear.

Les

e-man said:
The little round things are just reflectors

jikser said:
Mine does have the square side markers, just not the little round reflectors in the rear.

Les

First thanks for the pic, it's a big help. I do have that reverse light after all, but the PO painted over it I think. And my reverse switch isn't connected to anything, I guess I'll need to get that straightened out before inspection time.
Now back to the little marker things. In that pic it sits right above the shackle, they are refletors? I guess I can live with out them, I thought they were lights.
Jikser, that's a nice looking truck & a cool looking bumper. With that pic I now know how to mount the spare tire holder. :)
As for my rear bumper, I was thinking about trying this out Custom rear bumper , I've already gathered most of the steel, even scronged up stainless tubing for the light holders.
Thanks again, Shawn

That is definately one of the coolest bumpers I have seen, I saw it when he first posted it up and loved it, and still has that stock look.

Les

Yeah man dont worry about those round reflectors I got one of mine ripped off the first time I went wheeling. As for those marker lights I think I have one or maybe more if you need them.

jikser LED's

jikser, you need a set of LED's in place of those stoplights. They look great and would be a direct replacement. I got mine at Fleet Pride for about 40 bucks.

:cheers:
J.R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom