question about radiators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '89 4wd with a 3.0. I have had it for 40K of the 230K that's showing on the odometer. My radiator cap had a tear in the gasket so I replaces it knowing that would create more pressure and could cause problems. Well, yesterday I changed my oil and greased the truck. When I opened the hood I noticed a small amount of liquid on the top flange of my radiator. No smell. No steam. Just saw a little moisture. I cleaned that off and vented the radiator. WhenI had put the new oil in and was ready to start it and let it run a bit, I cleaned the radiator really good where I had seen the moisture. As soon as the truck warmed up a bit it started just barely seeping good ole green antifreeze.

OK. I need a radiator. I have seen them online [and local parts places online sights] I see them from $80 up to $500. I never buy the cheapest of anything but I don't need an aluminum multi core radiator as I do not run the truck hard. It's bone stock. Iuse 4wd in the winter some and am off road hunting a little in the fall. I actually probably baby the truck compared to most.

My question would be do you folks have a tried and true online parts place that has served you well? I have bought 2 or so in the past online for other trucks but do not have a clue where. I have to say I have never had a problem before with online purchased radiators. I DO want it to run cool though! Thought maybe I could get some info here.

One other thing that scares me is when I put a new one in I hope it doesn't decide to take something else out....Like a head gasket or the like. I don't have a place and am nt really able to start tearing into the engine...other than a small amout of rust the truck is in very good shape. More importand I really like the truck.

Any help will be appreciated.

I have bought a couple from Radiator Barn with good luck, but I think they got bought out a couple years ago. I got a new all aluminum one from Radiator Classic on Ebay a few weeks ago for my 80, dropped right in and everything fit perfect, best part, $150 to my door, no problems yet and there are several others who have their rads in early 80 series for several years with good luck. I think I saw some for the early model pickups on there as well.

I have had good luck with AutoAnything for rotors and brake pads, but not radiators. I would at least try to find an old school all metal one for it. Don't be scared of an all aluminum one if the price is right.

Thanks. The ones at local parts places web site are single core if they even say.

I cannot find ANY that are over single core priced less than the $170 aluminums on Ebay.

I just bought a Davez Off-road 3-core for my 83 1st gen p/u. I haven't installed it yet but I shopped a lot and settled on this one.

...via IH8MUD app

I've ran csf radiators in multiple trucks, including running them in my Toyotas for the last 10 years. They work great and the price is right.

Get the all metal heavy duty option if it's available for your truck (for my 22re truck, I run their 22ret heavy duty all metal 3 row radiator)

I didnt search your make and model but i just found a spectra radiator for my 82 on rock auto for about $100 and just found the same thing on summit for almost twice as much.

Historically I've run a Modine 2041, or equivalent, 3-row core radiator. The last time I went to the radiator shop the 2041 equal was stupid money. They sold me a 2-row core radiator that was almost as thick as the 2041. The only difference was the 2-rows were in the same space as the 3-rows. The part number might have been 147CBR, $260.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom