Question about Radiator Leak........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Earlier today, I was topping off my washer fluid and noticed my coolant level in the reservoir had dropped a couple of inches :hmm:

It was very hot today, so I didn't think much of it as the level usually fluctuates with the weather :meh:

Just pulled into my driveway about an hour ago and while I was unloading some gear, I spotted this minor drip :eek:

fzj80radiatorleak3.JPG

Checked the hoses and the reservoir, but it was dripping down from the chassis directly below the radiator :frown:

Checked the radiator and found this....

fzj80radiatorleak.JPG

fzj80radiatorleak2.JPG

Is this a common place for these radiators to spring a leak?

The reason I ask is because this is where the power cable for my secondary battery is routed :hmm:

pac500install6.JPG

Just curious if this is a normal occurrence or if it's possible that the power cable is creating some form of electrolysis that might cause it to deteriorate :hmm:

I already have a new radiator, mounts, hoses, clamps and T-stat arriving tomorrow :cool:

Is this a common place for these radiators to spring a leak?

Thats exactly where mine failed. Same side even; PS on the front seam. Not sure if that makes it common but I think the tank just cracked. At least new parts are already inbound! :clap: Also, I wouldn't drive it too much, if it can be helped. Mine started out looking like that when I noticed it, and after a only a few hours of driving had begun to *really* leak.

OK, I guess I can leave the cable in the same spot then :cool:

Which radiator did you replace yours with?

My dealer had 2 aluminum radiators in their warehouse and will be delivered at my shop in the morning, but they said they could get an older style (brass) radiator by Monday :hmm:

I went with the aluminum since it's my main ride and I don't want to wait :meh:

My wife's LX was leaking in the same spot and I'm in the middle of replacing it right now. Just waiting on Cdan's stuff to show up.:)

o great all this talk of radiators and now my original one will spring a leak next week or something haha

All plastic/aluminum radiators will fail at the seam sooner or later. For your sake, I hope a Koyo shows up. I have a 1917 CSF on the shelf, it hasn't moved in eons, and I sell radiators. I ordered a Koyo for my brother's L/C after I snapped off the nipple.

Having the benefit of seeing which ones fail across the board (all makes), CSF v. Koyo, it's Koyo that wins. But the margin is not large.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many Denso radiators and compressors fail these days. Thankfully they do though.

Just curious if this is a normal occurrence or if it's possible that the power cable is creating some form of electrolysis that might cause it to deteriorate :hmm:

I doubt it. I've had a cable routed the same way for over 5 years with no issues.

OK, I guess I can leave the cable in the same spot then :cool:

Which radiator did you replace yours with?

My dealer had 2 aluminum radiators in their warehouse and will be delivered at my shop in the morning, but they said they could get an older style (brass) radiator by Monday :hmm:

I went with the aluminum since it's my main ride and I don't want to wait :meh:

I went with the early toyota brass/copper/whatever one solely based on price. I think mine blew at the same time the PO blew the HG. 170k out of a radiator is not horrible IMO.

I did this job on Friday. Took the side supports off and sealed along the core with foam. Changing the low pressure power steering hoses is much easier with the radiator out, than on the trail!:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom