Question about purchasing a 2018 LX or LC and the updated radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had a question about purchasing a 2018 LX or LC. Wanted to ask some of you that are considering a purchase or have done so recently as well. How much of a big deal is it if you do not get one with an updated radiator? Should I be focusing on one that has updated radiator? Just not sure long term, what the implications are. As we know, in 2018 model year, radiator got upgraded. There are more listings out there with the old design from what I have seen for 2018's.

Last edited:
Just had a question about purchasing a 2018 LX or LC. Wanted to ask some of you that are considering a purchase or have done so recently as well. How much of a big deal is it if you do not get one with an updated radiator? Should I be focusing on one that has updated radiator? Just not sure long term, what the implications are. As we know, in 2018 model year, radiator got upgraded.

It is a $300 part and takes about 2-3 hours to replace. Good time to replace any worn hoses and fluid. If you can get it great, but not a big deal.

Agreed. Should not be a factor on an otherwise good purchase. Maybe use it to negotiate the price a bit?

With LC stock dwindling, I would not even consider the radiator in the purchase decision. It's worth the $500 or so replacement cost to make sure you get a good LC at a reasonable price and good maintenance history. There are several other minor updates in the early 2018 models (before the radiator update) that still make a 2018 worthwhile in my opinion (but I'm biased, because that's exactly what I purchased).

Last edited:
With LC stock dwindling, I would not even consider the radiator in the purchase decision. It's worth the $500 or so replacement cost to make sure you get a good LC at a reasonable price and good maintenance history. There are several other minor updates in the early 2018 models (before the radiator update) that still make a 2018 worthwhile in my opinion (but I'm biased, because that exactly what I purchased).
What updates were made for the 2018’s vs 2016/2017’s?

What updates were made for the 2018’s vs 2016/2017’s?
  • KDSS valves switch from small hex/allen-head bolts to large actual bolts (potentially less of a problem once they get rusty). (Early 2018)
  • Radiator upgraded from old crack-prone design to new sloped design. (July 2018 - you already know about this one)
  • Touch screen switched from resistive to capacitive (generally this makes for better feedback and screen visibility, but I haven't personally compared the two in the LC). (July 2018)
  • Cooler-looking (in my opinion) key fob.
  • I also think it was the same year that some other things brought over from the LX, like power liftgate? (Or was that in 2016?) And auto-side mirrors? I might be remembering this one wrong.
  • The firmware update to get rid of the transmission hard-shifting that people complained about in 2016 and early 2017.

Also note that some people like the power liftgate and others don't. You can override the power lift by pushing the back hatch button twice (quickly) instead of once when opening it - then you can lift it manually. You can always close it manually if you want. I like having the option.

• KDSS valves switch from small hex/allen-head bolts to large actual bolts (potentially less of a problem once they get rusty). (Early 2018)
  • Radiator upgraded from old crack-prone design to new sloped design. (July 2018 - you already know about this one)
  • Touch screen switched from resistive to capacitive (generally this makes for better feedback and screen visibility, but I haven't personally compared the two in the LC). (July 2018)
  • Cooler-looking (in my opinion) key fob.
  • I also think it was the same year that some other things brought over from the LX, like power liftgate? (Or was that in 2016?) And auto-side mirrors? I might be remembering this one wrong.
  • The firmware update to get rid of the transmission hard-shifting that people complained about in 2016 and early 2017.
Do you have any proof of that screen touch upgrade? It feels and performs exactly the same as the screen on my 04 Cruiser: dated.

Also note that some people like the power liftgate and others don't. You can override the power lift by pushing the back hatch button twice (quickly) instead of once when opening it - then you can lift it manually. You can always close it manually if you want. I like having the option.

There is also a button to disable power function completely, IIRC (picking up my 2021 on Saturday...).

Do you have any proof of that screen touch upgrade? It feels and performs exactly the same as the screen on my 04 Cruiser: dated.

All of the aftermarket Carplay / Android Auto units make the distinction between pre- and post-July for the 2018 LC, with the explanation being that the LC screen switched over to capacitive. So I would guess that the screen might appear to have better contrast & readability in bright light and accept a more gentle touch to register button presses. But yes, I completely agree - either way the entire infotainment screen is very dated. Going to a capacitive screen does NOT fix the old UI.

EDIT: Here's some example links for the units that seem to be popular on this forum. They list separate units for pre- and post-capacitive screens.
Online Store | main - https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-store/Land-Cruiser-series-c60806341

SAHARA 2016-2020 - https://www.ecvisionsound.com/collections/sahara-2016-2020

I guess it's also notable that the Grom Vline option doesn't appear to care whether the screen is capacitive or not.
Lexus GX460 2014-2020 Touch GROM VLine VL2 Infotainment System Upgrade Video Interface CarPlay Android Auto - https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/lexus-gx460-2014-2020-vline-carplay-android-auto-infotainment-system-navigation-upgrade.html

Last edited:
Our you can just push a button on the dash to disable the power feature. Never mind, above post covers this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom