Question about pulling my distributor for the first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aging fleet

SILVER Star
Threads
While waiting for parts to finish a bunch of other work, I decided today was the day to swap out my leaky pushrod cover gasket. I was hoping the cover could be removed with the distributor in place, but now that I have it loose from the block, that doesn't seem possible.

I haven't pulled the distributor off my '75 yet (or any other car for that matter), so I'm a little leary about messing the timing up. I set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke, since the flywheel is currently at a machine shop being resurfaced, I pulled the #1 spark plug, confirmed the cylinder was at the top of the stroke and air was being pushed out of the spark plug hole. The rotor is also pointed toward the #4 spark plug so I think I'm good there.

After doing the above, I removed the only visible bolt holding the distributor to the block. At this point, should the distributor simply pull out from the block? It seems like it doesn't want to go anywhere so I gave it a few light taps with a mallet, but no joy.

Am I missing something, or just whack it a little harder?

IMG_2807.jpeg

The bolt I removed
IMG_2808.jpeg

They can be a little stiff. Rotate it back and forth a little to free up the rubber o-ring. Then pull it up and out. You’ll need to check timing anyway when you reinstall it.

@fjc-man, my 40 has passed through the hands of a few different Mud members. I knew it no longer had points, but wasn’t sure what was involved with the change. Thanks for calling that out.

It ain't the pulling that's hard - it's the re-seating.

When you reinstall your distributor, be DARN sure the distributor is FULLY seated (just as it was in your photo), or your oil pump will not spin and you will fry your engine within a couple minutes of starting (or less). Just a friendly reminder!

While waiting for parts to finish a bunch of other work, I decided today was the day to swap out my leaky pushrod cover gasket. I was hoping the cover could be removed with the distributor in place, but now that I have it loose from the block, that doesn't seem possible.

I haven't pulled the distributor off my '75 yet (or any other car for that matter), so I'm a little leary about messing the timing up. I set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke, since the flywheel is currently at a machine shop being resurfaced, I pulled the #1 spark plug, confirmed the cylinder was at the top of the stroke and air was being pushed out of the spark plug hole. The rotor is also pointed toward the #4 spark plug so I think I'm good there.

After doing the above, I removed the only visible bolt holding the distributor to the block. At this point, should the distributor simply pull out from the block? It seems like it doesn't want to go anywhere so I gave it a few light taps with a mallet, but no joy.

Am I missing something, or just whack it a little harder?

View attachment 2977210

The bolt I removed
View attachment 2977211

make sure you use a NEW TOYOTA OEM o-ring , lube with a tad of grease or oil with finger , ALSO lube bore hole so O-RING Glide like a dream in when u re-install ....

- DO NOT use any other o-ring then a toyota genuine parts one , or u WILL suffer ..... :confused:

90099-14090

1649643878842.png

make sure you use a NEW TOYOTA OEM o-ring , lube with a tad of grease or oil with finger , ALSO lube bore hole so O-RING Glide like a dream in when u re-install ....

Thanks Matt, I have a few odds and ends I need to get from my local dealer, I'll definitely add this.

Thanks Matt, I have a few odds and ends I need to get from my local dealer, I'll definitely add this.

ADD :

1986 FJ60 USA ...

DIST> lock down bolt , x2 a spare is nice :

- that's a BIG cap unit and the aluminum bolts location is very think hence longer bolts :

- 91651-60825 is the micro fisch #

see it below :

1649648940483.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom