Question about pre-oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

890man

SILVER Star
Threads
I made a tool to turn the oil pump with a drill. I am almost sure that I am supposed to turn it clockwise. When I do this, I did feel the pressure increase after a few moments. Am I supposed to see oil come out the top at the rockers when I do this? Does a drill have enough speed? I also heard some disturbing noises at random. Sounded like banging on the tin oil pan but I havent confirmed this. I did stop after 30 seconds or so. The pump also feels like the gears are not meshing properly. Transfered through the drill is a slight bump every time the teath mesh. Is this what others have experienced?
I didn't do anything to the pump but pull the screen which looked clean.

Thanks, Travis

99% of the time you won't get any oil to the rockers if the cam is not turning.

I've never felt any "bump" or roughness in an oil pump.

Mark...

never felt what you describe as a bump.
what did you just do to the engine.dizzy swap or rebuild or what?

It was more of a refresh. Number 6 piston broke in half so replaced that and did rings. There was no debris in the pan or in the screen. I didn't pull and inspect the pump. The break was pretty clean and the truck was shut down quick.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=60382&highlight=found+knock

The dizzy is out, Im just turning the pump. Why wont oil get the to the rockers if the cam is not turning?

Sounds like the pump should turn smooth huh. Well, I guess I have to pull my pump and check it out. I will start fresh in the morning. Any other input would be helpfull.

The oil has to pass through the passage drilled through the bearing journal of the cam. If the cam is not rotating the ends of the passage not line line up with the ports that let the oil get to the cam and then away from it.

Mark...

Thanks Mark. After I sent the last one I studied the flow in the fsm and that was my conclusion. Looks like mains then cam then up to the top. I jumped the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom