Question about passenger side power window failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
I have a 2005 UZJ100 that's a continual source of projects for me. The project on my mind today concerns the front passenger-side window that has stopped rolling up or down. I've search the forums to see if there have been past conversations about this behavior and I haven't found any.

Here are the details. A couple weeks ago, the window stopped responding to my attempts to open it from the driver's side controls. When I checked, the passenger-side controls didn't work, either.

Locks are changing state from all controls in the car.

Could this be a motor failure? Is there a way to test the motor? What's the best way to troubleshoot?

Thanks for any advice people can share with me.

-- Jason

Pull the door panel. Try a known working window motor from another door on the passenger door wiring. If it doesn't work, you have a broken wire. If it does work, you need a new window motor. Point is, don't assume the wiring is OK when diagnosing.

Pull the door panel. Try a known working window motor from another door on the passenger door wiring. If it doesn't work, you have a broken wire. If it does work, you need a new window motor. Point is, don't assume the wiring is OK when diagnosing.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of trying another motor.

Update: I've pulled out the wiring harness and checked the wires with a multimeter. It appears there are no broken wires. Now, I move on to shuffling motors around, I guess.

Has anyone encountered a broken wire on the PS? I expect that door isn't used as much as the front DS door, so it's less likely to have worn wires in the harness, but I wonder if I should check that set of wires before messing with the motor? (Opion in this forum, by my count, suggests motor is next.)

It's a 12VDC motor. It would be easier to energize it directly from a voltage source, than swapping out the motor, don't you think? Also, you could have good wires and bad terminals, or terminal connections, in the connector.

To be clear, you checked both ends of the door harness indiviual conductors with a DVM?

To be clear, you checked both ends of the door harness indiviual conductors with a DVM?

Yep. Multimeter probes stuck into the little harness holes according to wire color. Each wire seemed to have continuity. Will check the terminals and terminal connectors, too. Need to find a wiring diagram.

Something simple like the fuse?

Ask and ye shall receive...

Attachments

• Power window (ppg 250-256).pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom