Question About Needle Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
Going through the front end I want to clean up the spindle and bearings for some new grease. I found more a muddy substance in the needle bearings than I wanted to see. I've been able to remove the mud and clean the bearings for good inspection.

The bearings feel ok when I spin them with my fingers.

But taking a closer look with my camera, I want to get an opinion on what I'm seeing here. The wet looking substance inside the spindle is Fluid Film that I use to clean and protect parts like bearings and seals.

The seal looks to be fairly recent. The previous owner indicated new bearings were installed sometime before I purchased it.

1590345173704.png

A close look shows some lines on the needle bearings. The bearing feel ok when I turn them with my fingers.

Though I think whatever mud or grit that was inside alone with grease left its mark on the needle rollers or is what I'm seeing is just regular wear for 236,000 miles?

Time to replace the bearings or give them a good greasing and let it roll? I do have the Slee grease injection unit

1590345505685.png

Last edited:
Looks pretty damn good to me. I’d run it as-is!

Great shape. Needle bearings are tough. No concern there.

Thank you all for the quick responses.

Anyone care to give a grease recommendation that I can buy at most auto parts stores?

I haven't repacked wheel bearings since the days of the original GMC V6 truck engine and Quaker State fiber grease. I've been living in a sealed bearing world. Ha!

Thank you all for the quick responses.

Anyone care to give a grease recommendation that I can buy at most auto parts stores?

I haven't repacked wheel bearings since the days of the original GMC V6 truck engine and Quaker State fiber grease. I've been living in a sealed bearing world. Ha!
Mobile 1 red stuff

Spindle bearings call for NLGI-1 grease, but most people I've heard of use normal nlgi-2 wheel bearing grease. That's what I put in last time as well, and I've not seen or heard of any trouble with that solution.

Spindle bearings call for NLGI-1 grease, but most people I've heard of use normal nlgi-2 wheel bearing grease. That's what I put in last time as well, and I've not seen or heard of any trouble with that solution.

Correct. Should not cause an issue unless you live in Siberia or someplace like that.

The two ( NLGI 1 and 2) only being different in consistency (viscosity).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom