question about locker just installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
i noticed after getting it all in there .that the one coupler is 180 degrees to the other one does that matter . in the pic you can see the one on the right has the space to put the c-clip in and the one on the left doesn't .do the two spaces for the c-clips have to be on the same side ?? any info would be great . thanks
IMG_0009 (Custom).JPG

Didn't the instruction say to put the leftside C-clip on the axle before the right side of the locker goes in? I forget.

doesn't make a diddly squat of difference....really, the left-side doesn't need the c-clip gap, it's only there to make the parts universal.

they will turn and rotate and not be aligned after you start driving anyway. its all good

woody said:
doesn't make a diddly squat of difference....really, the left-side doesn't need the c-clip gap, it's only there to make the parts universal.

thanks Woody .
i didn't think it would matter ,but i thought i should get a second opinion .

also another quick qestion . while i'm thinking about it .i did not checked the tolerances before final completion . i was getting tired last night as i was putting it in .not thinking very clear . the pinion shaft wouldn't go in .so i used a hammer it was quite tight .the last one i did it slid right in .will this eat up the shaft or the spacers .should i take it apart and get thinner thrust washers .pretty sure the ones i used are the thickest . thanks again

unfortunately, without measuring, it's hard to say...IIRC, most of mine were a pretty snug fit too....

camcruiser13 said:
they will turn and rotate and not be aligned after you start driving anyway. its all good

Umm no. The c-clip slots are in the center pieces which are held pretty firmly in place by the pinion shaft and those pesky little pins & springs.

camcruiser13 said:
its all good

This part is true. :D

O.K. another question . it's raining here today don't feel like getting wet . if i leave the locker alone and finnish closing up the diff and let anything that needs to self clearance do so . just curious what would wear . (anybody's opinion ) pinion shaft .locker spacers rubbing together .or would the pressure be on the c-clips .,do the c-clips rotate with the shaft ?will the c-clips fail? causing me to lose the axle . this vehicle does see the highway .don't want to lose an axle . just spending the day waiting for the rain to stop,and pondering what the out come would be if i leave the locker a little tight . most likely i will leave it alone .and run it on the tight side. unless someone thinks a c-clip will get eaten up . thanks again

e rock said:
Umm no. The c-clip slots are in the center pieces which are held pretty firmly in place by the pinion shaft and those pesky little pins & springs.

This part is true. :D

um wasnt talking about the c lips im talkin about the part of the locker that have teeth on them. thanks though

camcruiser13 said:

your statement is wrong they wont turn and not be aligned they will always be in the same spot in relation to one another. they stay together as one unit the springs and pins do hold them together . the c-clip slots will always be oppostie to each other in my situation .the ends that attached to the axle will rotate and change spot .

camcruiser13 said:
um wasnt talking about the c lips im talkin about the part of the locker that have teeth on them. thanks though

Alright - I'm not trying to be an ass, but I guess I don't understand what you were trying to say. His original question was about the two inner halves which only have a slot on one side (and do have teeth on them). His are aligned such that the slots face opposite directions and he asked if that was ok.

There is no way that, under normal operation, those parts will ever

camcruiser13 said:
turn and rotate and not be aligned after you start driving anyway.

Yes, the outer drive couplers rotate/ratchet, but there is no point of reference on them to line them up anyway.
locker.JPG

im not either, i dont even know what anybodys talking about in this thread, open mouth insert foot im done

pbgbottle said:
O.K. another question . it's raining here today don't feel like getting wet . if i leave the locker alone and finnish closing up the diff and let anything that needs to self clearance do so . just curious what would wear . (anybody's opinion ) pinion shaft .locker spacers rubbing together .or would the pressure be on the c-clips .,do the c-clips rotate with the shaft ?will the c-clips fail? causing me to lose the axle . this vehicle does see the highway .don't want to lose an axle . just spending the day waiting for the rain to stop,and pondering what the out come would be if i leave the locker a little tight . most likely i will leave it alone .and run it on the tight side. unless someone thinks a c-clip will get eaten up . thanks again

There shouldn't be any pressure on the clips themselves. The little retainer cups just cover the clips so they don't fall out. Yes the c-clips rotate with the shaft, but there aren't any wear points since the shaft and its side coupler rotate together.

IIRC, the pinion shaft is always a fairly tight fit getting it back through the c-clip cups. If yours is too tight, I think the thrust washers would be the only wear point. If the thrust washers are too thick, I think the biggest issue will be that the locker won't unlock around corners.

I recommend checking out the functionality before buttoning it all up. Tranny in neutral, rear axle off the ground, and alternate blocking one tire while turning the other to check for proper ratcheting.

i just went out and tryed the test . the locker functions as normal . both the couplers ratchet as they are supose to both in forward and reverse . but when it breaks lose and ratchets the wheel turning has quite a bit of drag on the axle . i checked the gap between the couplers at final assembly . and it was right on spec . but i know for sure there would be no way in heck . that i would get a feeler gauge between the end c-clip cup and pinion shaft . i tried to remove the pinion shaft .and i have to use a punch and hammer to bang it out . pretty tight . oh well i didn't fully bang it out . just wacked it back in . still a little nervous .don't want to destroy the locker . might have to pull it out and get thinner thrust washers .

important , if inner plates release and side gears ratchet then it will work . The concern is the 0 gap between the c-clip cups and center pin . Could be o.k. but I am guessing the c-clip may have slipped and is not letting the cup seat all the way , that was the major fruystration I had. Got some heavy grease and put on grovve in axle end so c-clip would stay put . It makes like a 2 mm diff. in where the cup ends up . I do not think c-clip will come out .
On a side note .... the gap between the two inner halves looks pretty large. You said you got the thickest washers which is good . When I did mine I did same thing but the case and center pin were worn to where it let the locker skip anyway so just double check , mine lasted 12 miles of trail then it went poppity , pop , pop.....

update locker works fine i looked at my thrashed lockright . to check out how everything worked and function together . seems to me the only part that will wear out from 0 clearance will be the thrust washer .and the spacer rubbing on the pinion shaft .these parts will only wear when the locker is unlocked . (turning corners) anyways i'm gonna drive it like this . later Jake S.

another update .rear axle seal went . went to pull the locker out could not move the pinion shaft . it was tight .ended up beating it with a sledge hammer and punch in . still barly moved . then rotated diff to grab it not a chance at pulling it out . after 4 hours . i bit the bullet and cut it in half and hammering out the rest of it .WOW it was tight . didn't go in that hard . ended up going through my set's of used shims . until i found a pair that i could use .still was zero clearance .but at least i could push the pinion shaft in almost all the way with my fingers and a little tap from the hammer .did scuff up the spacers abit . anyways . the locker functions a bit better .can feel the lock and unlock .rear end wiggle between gears shifts .didn't feel that before with the tighter shims . its all good . now . one more question . wich shims are better to use .the ones with 2 holes and an oil groove .or the newer ones with 4 holes and no oil groove ,or does it matter .

Jake S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom