Question about interior carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
Threads
My HZJ 60 is getting finnished up at Radd Cruisers. Im going to need a new carpet kit soon. Does anyone have a preference? Im looking for the highest quality most factory like kit.

Here is one from Spectre. Any thoughts?

Tom

Carpet kit 60 series

I was thinking of tearing out all that old carpet and rolling on the hurculiner for my floor. It is about $100 but when it get's dirty you just hose er' out!

yes: we put that same SOR carpet kit in our '60 2 years ago during a restoration and to date it has held up well. the overall quality is not as high as the OEM pieces it replaces but with a good set of floor mats, it seems to be doing an adequate job.

if I were to do it all over again, I think I might opt for custom cutting my own pieces out of high quality marine grade carpet to match the factory shapes -- a little more work, but this route would wear even better than the OEM, IMHO...

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

FWIW, I have the SOR inner fender carpet covers, and the fit was only OK. The quality of the carpet was OK as well, nothing to write home about. They're infinitely better than the ripped, gouged, faded and stained vinyl-and-foam stock covers, but still, not as good as the stock carpet.

I'm lucky that my stock carpet is holding up really well and that I've been running heavy duty floor mats since I bought the Cruiser. I would second the stock carpet option, maybe find a decent set out of a parted out Cruiser? Tim Moss (T-O on this board) has a whole grey interior from an FJ62, is your truck brown or grey inside?

I like the idea of lining the interior of an FJ60 but I would still run the carpet over the lining. My friend Dave Reljac's FJ60 is fully Line-X'd inside, and while the finish is awesome, the truck is louder than a stock 60 and gets pretty hot around the tranny hump. Something to think about.

I bought a used carpet in very good shape for the rear of my 60 on this BBS. Lots cheaper than the SOR replacement, and stock. Looks great now.

M

Here's a question...why does everyone put carpet in? The standard Rubber(??) floor thats in my truck is wicked, nothing to stain or fade or get gum stuck to.

Cheers
Geoff

After I sold my 1972 FJ40, I went down to the dealership to get another new cruiser - this was in 1983 - and was amazed to see that the new FJ60 models all had carpeting. WTF!

"How do I hose it out?"

The sales guy looked at me like I'd just grown a second head. "Hose it out?"

"Yeah, after a trip I just pull the drain plugs in the floor and hit it with a garden hose."

"Oh. Well this is what we have, sir. They all have carpeting."

Already I could see the mall cruisers glimmering in the future.

M

1981-83 Canada-spec BJ60's came in both the STD and the G trim, the STD's all had vynil floors. I don't know what the part number is, but the molded vynil floors for the 60 series should still be available from Toyota, it might be interesting to see what the pricing is compared to the carpet.

The US may have gotten the short end of the stick, but every Land Cruiser model is available in some markets with the vynil floor, even the 100 series.

Just stay away from JT Outfitters's carpets. I've got the complete set in my 62, and the fit is mediocre, but the quality is horrendous. My grey carpet has huge pink areas where it's gotten wet (just from water, too), and the front section lacks the plastic runners along the sides. Only 100 bucks per section, but trust me, you end up with what you pay for. Bad investment on my part. I say OEM all the way.

I'm going to go with DieselROCKS on this one. When I get around to replacing the interior carpet, I am going to replace it with rubber. I wonder where I will find one though...

:beer:

Why not Linex, or comparable? You can beat the crap out of it, hose it down and it still looks new.

thanks Henry...I do still have the front and middle carpet (but not cargo area, it was toast) in good (not brand new!) condition. They are out of a grey '89 fj62 (US-spec auto w/ dead pedal), so the front is not the same as a 60. I think I had some pics ... http://web.wt.net/~tosting/

I wasn't aware of the OEM vinyl interiors...that seems worth looking at!
Tim O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom