Question about gear line up in Transfer Case. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced some gaskets in my transmission and transfer case and when I was mating them back together I noticed that the input shaft gear and the intermediate gears are not matched up. There is about a 3/8 inch offset, is this normal? The input shaft gear is closer to the transmission. I did not notice this on my 78 transfer case when I had it apart last month.

This is a 74 tansfer case.

I recently replaced some gaskets in my transmission and transfer case and when I was mating them back together I noticed that the input shaft gear and the intermediate gears are not matched up. There is about a 3/8 inch offset, is this normal? The input shaft gear is closer to the transmission. I did not notice this on my 78 transfer case when I had it apart last month.

This is a 74 tansfer case.

What transmission are you mating this transfer case up to?

I just separated mine from the tranny last week and if I recall correctly the input shaft gear was offset toward the transmission a bit. It was something like this....input gear in TC, spacer where PTO gear would be, bearing, spacer, washer and staked nut. Mine is a 79 so yours might be different.

All three spacers are there and they are in the correct order, I checked that already, thanks though.

Answers?

So did you ever figure out what the deal was? My input gear has broken teeth and also signs of rubbing against the inside of the T/C.
Is it all about what spacers and where?
My setup is supposedly the 4 spd mated to 3 spd T/C..the cruiser head who built it for me is in the great junkyard in the sky but...soo no answers there!
anyone with an extra input gear laying around?
Mayb Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters?:confused:
picture0018.jpg
picture0016.jpg
picture0019.jpg

justkruzn,
I have an extra four speed tranny (not course spline) input gear I could sell you. PM me if interested. I bought it as part of a kit to put a three speed tc up to a four speed tranny and I won't be doing that now. I paid $100 for the kit. The kit was just the gear, a bearing and a gasket. Make sure of the spline count on our output shaft on the tranny.

You might need the tranfer input gear stopper shown in the FSM for a three speed TC case.

Last edited:
Thx bigsal!

Im def. interested in your gear but may try to find one local...I just cant find out "FAQS" how may teeth there are supposed to be on the gear i need! And why is it that the input gear only engages the the idler gear by about half? Is it just a crappy spacer job by PO? Also referencing the book it shows INPUT GEAR STOPPER...what are the specs on it? anybody?:bang:

Funny, I thought I was going to mount up a four speed tranny to my three speed TC and got the "kit" which turned out to be a gasket, oil seal, new bearing and the input gear splined for the four speed tranny. Anyone else out there have issues with needing that spacer? I now runa Fairey overdrive so I don't have the same input gear anymore and still run the three speed tranny and tc. I don't think there is a difference with the gear tooth count across the input gears, but the splines are way different between four and three speed tranny output shafts. I did not read the above mentioned thread but it sure seems like you need a spacer, and perhaps a new tc case? check that puppy for cracks or damage. It is super easy to pull the TC, so you may as well start there. Be carefull as that gear and spacer behind it will fall out when you separate them. I'd be a little concerned about how the idler gear and the input gear are not matched up very well. If you do pull the TC, just rebuild it. It is a simple job and Advance Adapters seems to have the least expensive rebuild kit that I found. If you find an extra four speed tc, just grab the gear and spacer out of it.. maybe you'll find an extra PTO gear too..:beer:

EDIT: Yep... you need that spacer and a new gear... this is a good time to rebuild that TC anyway. Why don't the adapter kits for doing that come with the spacer? Anyway let me know if I can provide mine. I won't be needing it as I have the shtuff to mate my Fairey into a four speed tranny now.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a difference with the gear tooth count across the input gears, but the splines are way different between four and three speed tranny output shafts.

There different splines and gear count depending on what specific year your tranny/T/C are..check this,Cruiser Outfitters

OH yeah... looky there :hmm: I was just thinking early models. On the one that bumps up to 31 teeth, is that when it switched to a split tc? If not, how would a bigger input gear affect the gear ratio in the 3 speed case? Would it give you a worse low ratio and a better high ratio? I guess you better know the year on your tc buddy... he he he.

Why don't the adapter kits for doing that come with the spacer?

Because a lot of people do it the other way around. They already have the 4 speed and buy a 3 speed case to mount it to their 4 speed. They therefore already have the needed spacer. But, those of us that install a 4 speed into a previously 3 speed cruiser and adapt our t/c to the 4 speed need the spacer and longer t/c mounting bolts along with the "kit" - gear, spacer sleeve and seal.

On a side note, MAF lists one for each application - MAF 4-Spd Transmission to 3-Spd Transfer Case Adapter Kit. But, I'm sure most vendors like Mark's Off Road or Cruiser Outfitters could supply the needed hardware for either application.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom