Question about engine replacement in thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody swapped a Toyota 5.8 iForce engine into an FJ60? Is this possible? I mean that virtually anything is possible with enough money, but is this reasonable? Please, if this idea is crazy, tell me. I love my 1986 FJ60 but is so sluggish it’s maddening.

Please don’t suggest an LS swap. As the saying goes, if I wanted a Chevy, I would have bought a Chevy.

Would love to see it done! I’m guessing it’s not that common cause the aftermarket support, adapters etc is probably not very deep

Will you be using the transmission that’s mated to it?

I've contemplated the 4.0l V6 from the FJ Cruiser. A friend of mine swapped a 4.0l/6spd/dual case into a 4door Suzuki sidekick, so anything is possible. I believe the key is researching what adapters are available to use the factory transfer case with whatever transmission you want to use. Getting an engine/trans/transfer case from a wrecking yard with the complete wire harness and computers from the vehicle. Donor vehicles without immobilizer systems make it easier also.

That being said, my old 84 always got me home, his usually came back broken.

Most modern engines are mated pretty heavily to their transmissions. If it came with an auto and you want a manual the best case is if Toyota offered a model with a manual trans. Else you might have to figure out how to divorce the harness and computer to get the engine to run.

I know they are super rare but Toyota dis build some newer Tacoma's with manual transmissions. I am not sure that would be enough engine for the 60 though

Funny, I was just driving to work thinking how sweet the torque is in these low revving F2's. I never have to slip the clutch even running 33 inch tires. The Sniper and headers have helped a lot.

I thought Trail Tailor spent a bunch of money to make a stand-alone 3UR setup and had a swap kit in progress, maybe you should ask him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom