Question about door hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if the door hinge that is bolted on to the tub is adjustable up and down and in and out. My tub is sprayed with line-x and before I go chopping the hinges free I wanted to make sure they even move. My doors have never lined up right. The bottom rear corner sticks out 1/2" to 3/4". I have brand new seals, striker plates and latches in the doors themselves. Even with the old hardware they wouldnt close right. I cant imagine new seals would make it stick out that far. When I pull the handle the door springs open from the force of somehting binding it up. Damn door about took my mother in law out this afternoon when it sprung open!! :D I messed with the door bolts and striker, kinda got it to close betterbut somehting is still not right. When I close it it looks like it binds at the hinges. If I could pull the hinge straight out of the tub a bit I think it would close better. Every fj40 pic I see the doors are perfectly flush to the tub n top. Also...has anyone ever ran into a window frame angled too far back? I checked and the spacers are there the hardware the locking bolts go is solid... The gasket is good. ??? The doors overlap the very top edge of the frame. The gap along the door starts out good then narrows at the top till it binds. I have to push the window frame forward to slam the door shut. I get pissed, I wonder how much I could get for it on ebay...then I see yet another heep roll by...f that...how can I stay mad at ma baby. ;)

sounds like the female (body side) of the hinge needs to come out. they do adjust slightly. it's the same as the strikers and hood hinges etc, where there is nuts or tapped plates inside a squared off area and the threaded area (nuts/plates) slide around in there. i will mention that it's a bitch to get to the top hinge nuts because of the dash. the lowers are a piece of cake. just loosen the four (iirc) bolts slightly and close the doors a few times. that will work them outwards, then tighten the bolts back up.

Just as Ige says. There's definitely enough play in the hinges to make a door fit better or worse. Those top hinges are nigh-on impossible, but I suggest a long, skinny offset closed end wrench (12 mm) to do the job. It makes the almost impossible barely possible.

:D

there is also some room to move if you loosen the bolts on the door side. between where it bolts to the body and where it bolts to the door you can get quite a bit of adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom