Question about alternator to battery charging wire connection - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On an FJ62, the stock white charging wire (10 awg, i think) that runs direct from the alternator to the battery,......I am curious what its connector to the fusible link at the battery is supposed to look like.

Can anyone post a shot of the proper way it should be connected to the fus. link??

post a picture of yours on here...maybe that will help people decipher if you have a problem

On an FJ62, the stock white charging wire (10 awg, i think) that runs direct from the alternator to the battery,......I am curious what its connector to the fusible link at the battery is supposed to look like.

Can anyone post a shot of the proper way it should be connected to the fus. link??
It’s that black plastic bolt connector fusible link that comes off the battery. I believe the part is still available from Toyota.
72D675C6-26DD-4E4D-864E-26D82ED3BC79.jpeg

It’s that black plastic bolt connector fusible link that comes off the battery. I believe the part is still available from Toyota. View attachment 2263587

Thanks @red66toy
Yep that's it, and it is just the small bolt together connection under that. Always wondered if mine was just some cobbled together crap connector, nope. I started reading a bunch of old fusible link threads and found that plastic clip thingy. I've never seen that on mine....just an open exposed connection! o_O

Toyota's design on these fusible links is pretty weak, at best. I've been looking at some upgrade wiring options like a new direct line from alt to battery and rebuilding the fusible link into 5 separate independent connectors.
Two old threads share some pretty good details on doing this, and it makes much more sense. If one line in the stock configuration blows it can
take out the whole connection.

Thanks @red66toy
Yep that's it, and it is just the small bolt together connection under that. Always wondered if mine was just some cobbled together crap connector, nope. I started reading a bunch of old fusible link threads and found that plastic clip thingy. I've never seen that on mine....just an open exposed connection! o_O

Toyota's design on these fusible links is pretty weak, at best. I've been looking at some upgrade wiring options like a new direct line from alt to battery and rebuilding the fusible link into 5 separate independent connectors.
Two old threads share some pretty good details on doing this, and it makes much more sense. If one line in the stock configuration blows it can
take out the whole connection.
Yeah, I kept my factory alternator connection but also added a beefier connection from the alternator to the battery with a 100 amp fuse at the battery. That connection runs from the alternator, through the front crossmember then up to the batter. :) These old rigs definitely benefit from beefed up power and ground cables.

I replaced all my grounds years ago with an awesome cable set from the now defunct Urban Land Cruisers, good there. @red66toy So you routed the new charge wire down low across the front? I haven't considered that route, which is probably the shortest way bt the alt and battery, which is my goal. I'm thinking a 4 ga. wire should be a good size.
What type of fuse setup did you use? Any photos of your set up worth sharing? Thanks.

I replaced all my grounds years ago with an awesome cable set from the now defunct Urban Land Cruisers, good there. @red66toy So you routed the new charge wire down low across the front? I haven't considered that route, which is probably the shortest way bt the alt and battery, which is my goal. I'm thinking a 4 ga. wire should be a good size.
What type of fuse setup did you use? Any photos of your set up worth sharing? Thanks.
I used 4ga wire and wrapped the length in abrasion resistant sheathing. I didn't have crimpers so I used solder slugs with the wire and lugs. I used a BlueSea fuse at the battery:
39340785534_f43dbf0a08_z.jpg

Nice. My battery doesn't have the extra post, will have to find an appropriate in line fuse connector, which means a couple extra cable connections to make. All good, going out to look at routing now. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom