1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about a salvage title?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by BurritosDaddy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BurritosDaddy

BurritosDaddy

I am thinking about buying an 80 with a salvage title. All parts that were damaged have been replaced with new, and an ARB was put on the front (damage was to passenger front). I was quoted a price of $6500, and I am wondering if that is a good price considering...

97 FJ-80 w/ 160K
    Factory Lockers
    ARB
    Good Leather and rubber

Anyone here have some wisdom for me? I would appreciate it. Thanks...

2. Skillet

Skillet Skillet

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds high to me. You definitely have a bargaining chip with the salvage title.

My $.02.

3. sc40

sc40

6500 seens very good to me. if you buy that i'll trade you my well running 94 (94 was the best year made)

4. cheap 40

cheap 40

In some states, "salvage title" means totaled, stolen, or worse. In some other states, like Iowa, it may have had as little as $3000 damage depending on the time of the accident. I bought my '97 with a salvage title and have had no complaints. Just make sure to go over it with a fine toothed comb, and nitpick everything. You definately have a bargaining chip here, as many will avoid the salvage title like the plague.

Tony

5. BurritosDaddy

BurritosDaddy

Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot to mention, the sellers are a reputable dealer, so that helps ease my mind about the salvage title somewhat as they actually rebuilt the vehicle (and they often work on cruisers).

As far as problem areas that I should check, I know I need to check and see if the axles were serviced, but are there any other common problem areas for high-mileage, 80-series cruisers?

Thanks again for all your help

6. cruiserjohnny

cruiserjohnny

Does'nt sound like a bad price if it's in decent shape and was repaired properly.I have a 97 lx450 at my dealership with 130k that I gave 10,500.00 for wholesale so the one your looking at is about half price.Go for it, especially if you're going to wheel it.

7. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Well the price is according to what was repaired versus what was replaced. One data point to check is on your insurance, If you are planning to carry comprehensive or collision coverage for the vehicle tyupically a rebuilt salvage veh is worth 50-60% of a non salavge titled veh.
    Dave

8. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

Some insurance companies will only give you liability coverage if you have a salvage title.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">