Question about 97 LX450 tune up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NexusD

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this board so please go easy on me. I just pick up a 97 Lexus LX450 last week after selling my 02 S/C Toyota Tacoma prerunner. I've been reading and posting on the Tacoma board for few years now. That’s pretty much how I can a cross this forum. So on to my question! I'm doing a full tune up on this pig this weekend and for the life of me I can not find the Fuel filter? Yes I know that sounds Like I’m a dumb A#@, but dude were is this thing?

My second question is, the screws holding the cheap spark plug do they strip out easily? Can I just drill them out?

Also how do I post pix on this forum?

Thank you for all your help and happy wheeling

Dan :flamingo:

Greetings Dan -

Welcome to the forum.

Fuel filter: Located on the DS rear of the engine, under the intake manifold. Very difficult to get to, but possible. You will find that questions are easier for us to answer if you provide some basic info... such as how much milage on the rig. Reason is, perhaps you don't need to worry about the filter at this time.

Leaving the other Qs for the other guys/gals...

Cheers, R -

NexusD said:
My second question is, the screws holding the cheap spark plug do they strip out easily? Can I just drill them out?

Can you expand on that one? Are you talking about the Philips screws on the spark plug wire covers on top of the valve cover? If so they are also bolts, put a 10mm socket on them and they will come out.
Also how do I post pix on this forum?

On the page where you post messages look down near the bottom where it says attach file.

cool thanks for the help guys. Yes, it's the philps screw on the top of the spark plugs. The My LX450 has 87k miles on it. The motor is feeling very sluggish in first gear, but picks up in 2nd gear. From my test driving differnt LC mine feels a little slow. All I did so far is change the Cap and rotor and i got some more balls out of it. so I was thinking by changing the fuel filter i would see a gane in power? I hope that helps out the question a little more.

Thanks, Dan

IMO, at 87K it won't hurt to replace the FF, but you may not need it, and it's a PIA to do. I doubt that changing it out would give you any additional punch unless it's clogged, and then you'd be having other problems too.

Unless you have service records that indicate a TB cleaning in the recent past, I would do that...in addition to replacing all lubricants/fluids and replacing the ignition components (i.e., wires, dizzy, rotor, plugs).

At 87K...you're due for a front axle service if it hasn't been done recently. Read up on the procedure, then call Dan for the parts.

Thanks for the info Scamper! Yeah if i'm in the mood i will change out the fuel filter. Right now i'm tring to get those damn plastic covers on the spark plugs off. the philips screws that are holding on are all striped out! the records i pulled show no signs of a full tune up. Just a master break unit and a batter. Next pay priod i'm looking into a full front axle service. I do know i have wheel bearing out on the drives side.
Thanks, dan

Change it!

Here is a pic of my fuel filter at 89K. Speaks for itself.
fuel filter3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom