Question about 2UZ-FE Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we are looking pretty seriously at buying a GX470 for Rachael (03-08 seem to be in the price range).

They come with the 2UZ-FE, which I love, as they are pretty well known for dependability and hey, it's a Toyota, I should be able to work on it when anything goes south on it.

Quick question: As I understand it, in 2005, the 2UZ motors in the GX470's switched to VVT-I, variable valve timing.

Any of you that are familiar with this motor: are there any pluses or minuses to the pre 05 and post 05 vvt-i?

Opinions / knowledge welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

So we are looking pretty seriously at buying a GX470 for Rachael (03-08 seem to be in the price range).

They come with the 2UZ-FE, which I love, as they are pretty well known for dependability and hey, it's a Toyota, I should be able to work on it when anything goes south on it.

Quick question: As I understand it, in 2005, the 2UZ motors in the GX470's switched to VVT-I, variable valve timing.

Any of you that are familiar with this motor: are there any pluses or minuses to the pre 05 and post 05 vvt-i?

Opinions / knowledge welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

More power my friend! We owned a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with the V8 and put 100k trouble free miles on it before we sold it. I owned a 5.7 tundra (3UR-FE) and also put close to 80/90k miles on it without any motor issues.

IIRC the VVT-i added somewhere around 30-50 hp over the years (dunno about the specific model years or that model).

I think the biggest "hurdle" with those motors is where the starter is located - under the intake manifold.

Best of luck - we loved our 4Runner.

More power my friend! We owned a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with the V8 and put 100k trouble free miles on it before we sold it. I owned a 5.7 tundra (3UR-FE) and also put close to 80/90k miles on it without any motor issues.

IIRC the VVT-i added somewhere around 30-50 hp over the years (dunno about the specific model years or that model).

I think the biggest "hurdle" with those motors is where the starter is located - under the intake manifold.

Best of luck - we loved our 4Runner.
Yep, saw the 30 hp boost per specs. Seems that is what most of the 4runner crowd say as well. A little more boost on the highway per butt dyno. Haven't seen any comments on failures due to vvt-i in my research, so thinking the vvt-i versions just have the added benefit, and no drawbacks.

Yeah, I don't think you'll regret either motor! The V8 in our 4runner had plenty of giddy up but he GX is heavier. She may be better suited with the VVT-i.

What's your timeframe to buy?

Yeah, I don't think you'll regret either motor! The V8 in our 4runner had plenty of giddy up but he GX is heavier. She may be better suited with the VVT-i.

What's your timeframe to buy?
Could be anytime in the 3 months.

My rule of thumb is stay away from the first model year or the last for any major changes like the vvti. Figure out with that engine model which year it was new. Some times that doesn't occur in the car model your looking at. There are always manufacturing and design learning curves. That seem to work there way out in the first year.

The last model because by the end of a production run the account turns the screw hard enough to reduce the robustness and over spend in production. They're just milking old technology to pay for the new. They million mile tundra yhat got all the press was the 2uz vvti wasn't it

I've always found it interesting that they didn't install VVT-I in the 2uz until mid 2000 model years. My 98 GS400 has it and its 1uz is an almost identical motor architecture wise to the 2uz. @cjmoon has a good point on not buying the first model year of something with major design changes. However, that said, the VVT-I feature itself had been out for close on a decade before the 2uz was receiving it. The only thing I've heard of ever being an issue with them is an oiling problem that causes the VVT-I not to engage. I don't think it was ever a big deal though. To me the advantage wouldn't be so much the 30hp but the broad torque curve. For instance my GS feels like a missile at just about any RPM range, no lack of power at any time. A bit apples to oranges with the weight difference but you get the point.

You won't have an issue. Jenns 01 highlander has vvti, almost ran it out of oIl one due to bad pcv valve (not my fault) oil light was coming on when she stopped or turned and still runs fine. Over 300k on the ticker. Different motor bit reliable. Vvti in matrix as well but it has known oil control ring issue I just feed it oil often with 250k on it. Don't be scared of Vvti unless you are doing a conversion then it is a pain.

Got pretty much that engine in our 2006 Sequoia (I think there are some small differences in where they're made, rod material between Toytoa and lexus, with LX supposedly better). Got 150k or so on it, tow my 4runner all over the place, have even towed an 80. Put a timing belt, water pump, and plugs on it at 106k. Have not touched it otherwise (knock on wood). Been a fantastic motor, as long as you don't care how much you have to feed it (not good on MPG).

Hope I never have to replace the starter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom