Question about 100 Series Exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about purchasing an 06 and I received some pics of the under carriage. I have an 80, but know little about the 100s (aside from Slee's FAQs).
Here is a pic of the exhaust. Is it me or is there a crimp? Should the exhaust pipe look like that in the first pic. (I attached a few other pics as well for your comments)
1654796758016.png

1654796836671.png

1654796853570.png

1654796871955.png

Looks factory and in the expected condition. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm thinking about purchasing an 06 and I received some pics of the under carriage. I have an 80, but know little about the 100s (aside from Slee's FAQs).
Here is a pic of the exhaust. Is it me or is there a crimp? Should the exhaust pipe look like that in the first pic. (I attached a few other pics as well for your comments)
View attachment 3029402

View attachment 3029403

View attachment 3029404
View attachment 3029406
Nice find, looks like minimal rust under there. As others noted good to go on exhaust.

How much is it selling for??
How many miles??

Focus more on previous maintenance. These are the most reliable vehicles on the planet but that doesn't just happen with no maintenance. If it hasn't had stuff done in the past as it approach's 200k+ miles / 15-20 years old, there will be work that should be done.

Let's see some pics under the hood, any leaks? Looks clean?
Ask about timing belt and water pump replacements. Also ask about coolant service. Pop the radiator cap and make sure its nice clean pink fluid without any crusties.

Nice find, looks like minimal rust under there. As others noted good to go on exhaust.

How much is it selling for??
How many miles??

Focus more on previous maintenance. These are the most reliable vehicles on the planet but that doesn't just happen with no maintenance. If it hasn't had stuff done in the past as it approach's 200k+ miles / 15-20 years old, there will be work that should be done.

Let's see some pics under the hood, any leaks? Looks clean?
Ask about timing belt and water pump replacements. Also ask about coolant service. Pop the radiator cap and make sure its nice clean pink fluid without any crusties.
It's expensive. 28k. But sub 150 miles. New timing belt, CV joints, water pump and regular service. I'm wondering about that grease in the first pic below. Could be a main seal? Also, there's a fair amount of surface rust on this, at least for a California car. I have a mint locked 80 series that has not a spot of rust and its 15 years older.
I LOVE my 80 but I think the 100 is more applicable for my needs . I need something with a little more comfort for the family and that can get me out of snow storms. Don't get me wrong, my 80 has taken us out of blizzards and paid for itself but I spend more time on the highway than dirt roads unfortunately. please let me know you you think.--Dan

1654809118321.png

1654809146960.png

1654809169702.png

1654809184276.png

1654809218447.png

It's expensive. 28k. But sub 150 miles. New timing belt, CV joints, water pump and regular service. I'm wondering about that grease in the first pic below. Could be a main seal? Also, there's a fair amount of surface rust on this, at least for a California car. I have a mint locked 80 series that has not a spot of rust and its 15 years older.
I LOVE my 80 but I think the 100 is more applicable for my needs . I need something with a little more comfort for the family and that can get me out of snow storms. Don't get me wrong, my 80 has taken us out of blizzards and paid for itself but I spend more time on the highway than dirt roads unfortunately. please let me know you you think.--Dan

View attachment 3029591
View attachment 3029593

View attachment 3029594
View attachment 3029595
View attachment 3029596
That grease is just being flung around from the driveshaft . It's a tough spot to clean , I was under there last week with a toothbrush trying to get it all off but it's tricky .

Seems pretty spendy but seems like everyone now a days thinks there old trucks are worth a fortune . It's a shame, I wish the market was more affordable around reliable rigs .

I think your logic is spot on coming from an 80 to a 100 for the right reasons . This rig look pretty damn clean so far
Go through it all closer, check under hood as well.

If the cooling system is maintained these motor will go for a while. Check hoses, fluid condition, etc. Can you pull the trans dip stick ? See if the fluid is clean or burnt

That grease is just being flung around from the driveshaft . It's a tough spot to clean , I was under there last week with a toothbrush trying to get it all off but it's tricky .

Seems pretty spendy but seems like everyone now a days thinks there old trucks are worth a fortune . It's a shame, I wish the market was more affordable around reliable rigs .

I think your logic is spot on coming from an 80 to a 100 for the right reasons . This rig look pretty damn clean so far
Go through it all closer, check under hood as well.

If the cooling system is maintained these motor will go for a while. Check hoses, fluid condition, etc. Can you pull the trans dip stick ? See if the fluid is clean or burnt
Got it. I just don't understand the rust situation. Here's another pic. It has been well maintained and on regular basis judging by the repair invoices. For some reasons LCs are in vogue right now. My 80 has been completely rebuilt by Toyota and it is an absolute blast to drive so if you know someone... What's your opinion of this rust ?
If this car was $20k, I would snap it up, but for $28 I think it should be perfect.

1654810440827.png

That rust seems pretty trivial to me. Like coastal surface rust from salt air or beach driving. I wouldn't sweat it.

Got it. I just don't understand the rust situation. Here's another pic. It has been well maintained and on regular basis judging by the repair invoices. For some reasons LCs are in vogue right now. My 80 has been completely rebuilt by Toyota and it is an absolute blast to drive so if you know someone... What's your opinion of this rust ?
If this car was $20k, I would snap it up, but for $28 I think it should be perfect.

View attachment 3029685
And that grease is a great sign that it has been maintained. I'd be suspicious if it was clean.

Yeah you know rust is definitely going to vary from each person's opinion. Compared to my rig that looks great . I'd be more concerned if all the nuts and bolts and other parts were rusting over. It's in good shape but like you said it's a stretch for 28k .

Just going to depend on your budget and personal preference. Id like to think that cruiser has a long life left still . Try and dick him down to 20k

Point a flashlight at the rear axle left crossmember area under the DS coil spring for a possible discount. That is usually the most rusted spot even for a rust free 100 series. On rust belt LC100's that can be a potential rotted section.

Otherwise that undercarriage looks like it still has plenty of life in it with some surface rust.

CVs look to be ~$100 aftermarket parts not OEM. At 28K, I'd be expect rubber bushings to be in good condition too, no oil leaks etc, shifts perfectly when floored etc on a test drive.

If you're looking to restore it to a reasonable degree, set aside probably $5000 for R&R. If you aren't in a hurry, just wait for the interest rates / gas prices to go up before getting one and wait for more LC100 ads to show up.

Point a flashlight at the rear axle left crossmember area under the DS coil spring for a possible discount. That is usually the most rusted spot even for a rust free 100 series. On rust belt LC100's that can be a potential rotted section.

Otherwise that undercarriage looks like it still has plenty of life in it with some surface rust.

CVs look to be ~$100 aftermarket parts not OEM. At 28K, I'd be expect rubber bushings to be in good condition too, no oil leaks etc, shifts perfectly when floored etc on a test drive.

If you're looking to restore it to a reasonable degree, set aside probably $5000 for R&R. If you aren't in a hurry, just wait for the interest rates / gas prices to go up before getting one and wait for more LC100 ads to show up.
Good eye. I just looked at the invoice and I've got part number 1700-206407 for the CV joints (doesn't look OEM). I have the service records attached. It looks like there were also 2 air pumps that have been replaced recently?

Not really sure if you should show us these until you own the truck!

But definitely worth looking at the list while you're considering that. Good luck cruiser hunting!

Even if it's indy or dealer shop maintained, I think it's good to have a PO that does PM. :)

But definitely worth looking at the list while you're considering that. Good luck cruiser hunting!

Even if it's indy or dealer shop maintained, I think it's good to have a PO that does PM. :)

Records are posted with the advertisement but thanks for your opinion.

It's just crazy that people are buying and selling these trucks for so much . I bought my rust free rig a few years back for 10k with 140k miles ...all the sudden people think these trucks are worth $20+k .....

It's just crazy that people are buying and selling these trucks for so much . I bought my rust free rig a few years back for 10k with 140k miles ...all the sudden people think these trucks are worth $20+k .....
You and me both. I am in absolutely no rush to spend that$. Everything is overpriced right now. Every time I see a decent pricedLC it’s gone in hours. People are buying them just to flip them for 10k more.

$ flows where $ is. If the truck is anywhere west of Sacramento....

Though that surface rust looks suspicious. What does the Toyota web maintenance history show?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom