Quebec ban now permanent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where should we sign up?

By the way, isn't there a tunnel linking France to England? Doesn't that mean all kinds of LHD cars from France drive in England and all kinds of RHD cars from England drive on the roads in France???

How can vehicles be OK to drive anywhere else on the planet but not in Québec??????? Are we that dumb that we need our gorvenment to protect us from RHD vehicles?????

And Wayne is right! How can a 25 year old car be any safer than a 15 year old one. Can someone explain the logic behind that if it's not to protect the big corpos market?

Again, Wayne I have to agree. Younger drivers were buying those imports 'cuz they were the biggest bang they could get for their buck. Not that the imports are out of their reach, they will only be able to afford older rust buckets and kill themselves and possibly others when their frame will break.

Maybe Qc should ban young drivers! Or cars! 'cuz when you think about it, cars are dangerous, you know!!!

Ok so where do we sign up to support the fight?

MJ

common sense is not common

and if you have it you can not be a politician.

its the rule.

Well something else to toss this way, I recently had to renew insurance, on a RHD Pajero, In Ontario aparently no one with a RHD vehicle will have their policy's renewed with the standard underwriting and no new standard underwriting will be done for new policies. Instead RHD Vehicles are going to be lumped into facility insurance.

My broker that Ive had for 15+ years of claim free insurance on a dozen or so vehicles could NOT find me a single underwriter to take on this RHD Policy. It wasnt a skyline or hot turbo hatchback you see racing up and down lakeshore in Toronto, but a Pajero diesel. My insurance on my Last Skyline was $86.00 a month as an occasional vehicle, seasonal and full coverage based on a $25,000 appraisal. Now in the year 2010 my rates are $150.00 monthly in FACILITY with intacts facility group in a vehicle that struggles to top 135km/hour down hill.

The point of this observation is, they wont have to render RHD vehicles illegal in Ontario to make life miserable for us, all they need to do is insure us to death.

Pete

we need to contact the insurance companies and talk to someone with some brains...

I'm a little late on the discussion and I've read most of it to catch up. But I think the death of the RHD vehicles in Canada will not be bans by different levels of governments it will be the lack of insurance provides for these vehicles.

I can already see it around here (Ontario) most insurance companies won't touch them and most imports have dried up. Eventually you will only be able to get specialty insurance from the likes of Silver Wheels, which is basically useless for daily driving.

There is at least 1 insurance company in Ontario that was able to insure my HDJ-81, but I had to jump through hoops to get it.

then i guess we need to start following the river to find it's source and see if we can do a sit down with that person and discuss this whole insurance BS

This whole thread makes me feel very fortunate that I stopped considering getting a RHD Cruiser a few years ago (I had turned away from that option principally for reasons of not being able to convince myself about the whole RHD driving thing).

I realize this would result in further costs for the unfortunate RHD owners subject to these new constraints, but does this open up a market for RHD to LHD conversions? Probably not easy nor cheap to get the parts and do the work, I presume...

RHD is the prime target because it plays on people's fears that something different is dangerous. But don't feel too safe, they have been clear from the beginning that they want all imports stopped. Also on their list is older NA marketed vehicles. If people don't think they want a similar set-up like they have in Japan - where it is too costly to keep a vehicle much more than 10 years - then they are dreaming. The automotive industry here would love to have you being forced to go into their dealerships every 10 years or less to buy what they decide to offer for sale. Their code word for it is "fleet renewal". Which simply means forcing the public to buy new vehicles from them at a set interval. If "fleet renewal" isn't what they really wanted, they why would they spell it out so clearly in their media release.

Sure some may be able to afford "classic car" status if this happens. But here in BC that means clean and stock set-up. That's not a whole lot of fun for wheeling.

lets get one thing straight right away...
CCMTA and CADA have a mandate to eliminate ALL vehicles 10 years and older. it has been on the business propaganda schedual since 08 meeting in Edmonton.

they are starting out and working in...

this is not BS, i can dig up the memo if needed

but

like your LC? like you old sports car? well tough s***, if they get their way you won't be able to keep it on the road.

and

to further this point, i have been talking to a few shops over the last year and those new cars and trucks people are buying? well when a code comes up the dealership won't share the info with the smaller shops so you are FORCED to go to the dealer to get it fixed.

how do you like them apples?

it is all for one ... and screw the rest.

CADA, the big boy that has a bigger boy backing them up.

the ONLY way we will win in the long run is to gather support from everyone, no matter what you drive. you WILL be affected ... maybe not today but soon.

I know Mike from Rightdrive.ca has been working pretty hard to find a group policy for his customers for the comming year. I keep meaning to ask him about it

It really is a shame tho that the Ontario market can be dictated by insurance companies. And the silver wheels program doesnt count for imported right drive vehicles according to the rep I talked to there, unless its a registered classic so a Bentley is fine but a 20 year old Skyline or Pajero for example isnt.

The law does state we have to be offered insurance tho, so the only way to keep playing on the right side of the car for me these days is to insure in Facility at lower coverage for much much more money.
My current Pajero costs me more a month to insure then my house, an MR2 and a 67 mustang COMBINED last year.

Pete

Why are so many people bent on full coverage? If you add up the costs over 5-7 years it is significant.

"to further this point, i have been talking to a few shops over the last year and those new cars and trucks people are buying? well when a code comes up the dealership won't share the info with the smaller shops so you are FORCED to go to the dealer to get it fixed.

how do you like them apples?

it is all for one ... and screw the rest.

CADA, the big boy that has a bigger boy backing them up. "

This was in the news a couple of years ago.

it needs to be in the news again now...

never heard of 'Right Drive' before...

I have heard of "Right Drive"

What really s***s me is when I was living in a country that drove on the left (Cayman), every time I visited North America and drove if there was no traffic the remind me which side to be on I always ended up on the wrong side in a LHD (some screaming from passengers...).

It's not the vehicle, it's the driver. Maybe that should be a slogan?

If the ins. co said they wouldn't offer collision I would accept that - how can they cover the cost of repairs on something that they can't find parts for - too much hassle and just ends up in a pay out which they don't like. Liability/fire/theft would be good enough for me. Or they could still offer collision but at a rediculous rate.

There is an insurance hotline in Ontario - try calling them, as far as I know a person cannot be denied insurance in ontario.

French cars in England or visa versa means French people driving their French registred cars in Engeland or visa versa. And not English guys driving a Frech car in England and registering it their. It wouldn't be a problem though.

Bolivia and Paraguay import a huge quantity of Japanese Toyota's and they all have to undergo a 'change' from being RHD to LHD. Local shops tinkering with the steering stuff and people not willing to pay the high prices of importing the original parts makes for dangerous situations. I hope that will not happen in Canada!

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

As far as cruisers go the value of the BJ70 will go up - just for the registration alone. Convert a minty 7X series from japan to LHD and use the frame off the CDN BJ70 and it will be a new truck. Don't forget that before the JDM's came here the old rusted out cruisers were fetching rediculous prices. With all the JDM parts coming in, cruisers that have been parted out, and cruiser conversions that have been done in the last few years we will have cruisers for a long time. Even the guys in the states getting grey market vehicles in are keeping the supply up.

I do like how the supply has exceeded the demand so far - keeping the prices down low for parts and trucks. That will change.

Something to watch out for ...

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/ctm/Com_Circulars/2010/100420_comp_circ_02-10.pdf

This is something to keep an eye on. In effect this will probably cause quite a few of the diesels in this class to just be pulled off the road. I would not be surprised if the government decided to do the same with diesels in other classes and years. Of course, this helps CADA to achieve their fleet renewal objective. You don't have to ban something to make it damn hard to own and operate it.

In terms of limiting diesel particulate pollutions, this new reg will do basically nothing. Most of the diesel particulate pollution in BC is coming from marine diesels in the Lower Main Land air shed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom