Quality shop in SF Bay Area for partially complete FJ40 rebuild project? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

First time on this site and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good shop/mechanic in my general area (SF Bay Area) that may be able to take my partially complete 1977 FJ40 rebuild project the rest of the way. My friend did a great job with the work done to date (which is substantial) but life has gotten busy for him and I've had to take the partially completed rebuild off his hands. Most of the parts are in my possession and the fabrication is largely complete, but there is still a lot that needs to be done. Looking to find a good shop/mechanic who has the ability and willingness to take on a good sized project. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Welcome to Mud!
Gary Kardum at Mudrak's in Sonoma is not far from you. (707) 292-3509
In the South Bay area, Ron Diaz at Custom Cruiser FJ40 in Gilroy (408) 842-3540

Welcome to Mud!
Gary Kardum at Mudrak's in Sonoma is not far from you. (707) 292-3509
In the South Bay area, Ron Diaz at Custom Cruiser FJ40 in Gilroy (408) 842-3540
Thank you! Gary is booked up for the next year or so, and I'm not sure if I can wait that long ;). I'll check with Ron Diaz...thanks for the tip!

What he said ^^^

Good luck, theres not a shop within 3000mi. that will get you anything in a year or less. even if u pony up 120k+ for an Icon...it wont happen!!

You are muuuuuuuuuuch better off paying for one already done and it will be far cheaper even at 60k. just speaking the truth.....anyone that tells you differently simply doesnt know.

sell what u have......and start shopping if you want it within a year.....and it will likely take you 3-6mo just finding a nice one.

Good luck, theres not a shop within 3000mi. that will get you anything in a year or less. even if u pony up 120k+ for an Icon...it wont happen!!

You are muuuuuuuuuuch better off paying for one already done and it will be far cheaper even at 60k. just speaking the truth.....anyone that tells you differently simply doesnt know.

sell what u have......and start shopping if you want it within a year.....and it will likely take you 3-6mo just finding a nice one.
Thanks for the candid feedback. This one has sentimental value...first vehicle when I turned 16 (I'm now 50), a surprise from my dad who is now disappearing into dementia, hoping to get him a ride in it before he goes. If it doesn't work out I'll offload it eventually, but I don't give up easily.

Do you have a garage to work on it?
Are you mechanically inclined?
Try the PMC clubhouse (link below) to find local cruiserheads that would help.
Another guy that comes to mind is @reddingcruiser
He's not a shop, but has built quite a few for others.

The only way you will cut into most shops 2-3 year+ wait list is going to be to pay about double their usual hourly rate. So get ready to pony up $200-300hr. to skip to the front of a line IF anyone will do that to their other customers who have been in line for 2+ years.

What is left that needs to be done?? pics etc would help determine hours you will be looking at

Thank you for the feedback. I am DEFINITELY NOT mechanically inclined and would likely lose a limb, my sanity or my marriage if I attempted to take this on myself. On top of that, I'm the breadwinner for the family and between work and family related obligations I have little free time as it is unfortunately. Thanks again...I very much appreciate the sincere feedback.

Knowing what the current status of the vehicle now will go a long way in knowing exactly what you’re after. Is it running, need body work, is it in 1000 pieces? All things, which will determine the feasibility of getting it roadworthy inside a year.

The only way you will cut into most shops 2-3 year+ wait list is going to be to pay about double their usual hourly rate. So get ready to pony up $200-300hr. to skip to the front of a line IF anyone will do that to their other customers who have been in line for 2+ years.

What is left that needs to be done?? pics etc would help determine hours you will be looking at

Knowing what the current status of the vehicle now will go a long way in knowing exactly what you’re after. Is it running, need body work, is it in 1000 pieces? All things, which will determine the feasibility of getting it roadworthy inside a year.
Not running, body work is largely complete, its still in probably 100+ pieces, most parts are in possession. Bumpers, roll cage will be in my possession shortly, but are complete in terms of fabrication and powder coating. I have attached a few pictures to give you a sense of the status. As mentioned previously on this thread, I am not mechanically inclined so unfortunately will not be able to provide much help in terms of technical description on whats been completed to date.

PXL_20211009_231508152.jpg

PXL_20211009_230335587.jpg

PXL_20211009_230435669.jpg

PXL_20211009_231016643.jpg

PXL_20211009_230327413.jpg

Yup, Ron has done dozens of these kinds of builds. Did you call or text him?

Kudos for knowing your limits. Shame on you for owning a cruiser for 34 years and not expanding them.

(Relax -- just kidding. Good luck with your project and your pops)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom