Quad bi-xenon HID - RETROFIT easy almost direct bolt on!!! (HDJ81) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys I just wanted to share a mod I have done recently on my HDJ81. This is a quick and dirty guide.
this is a retrofit true hid with fully adjustable beam. you will need to bake your headlights to separate your lens. The retrofit consists of two kits put together more detailed parts listed below. the two kits that make up the quad projector is
"Bi-xenon: Matchbox Stage III" and "Retro-Quik: Spyder/Spec-D Lights" you will also need 2x
MotoControl Bixenon: H4/9003"
to control the actuators for hi-beam.

Parts needed
Spyder Projector (spec-d) housing (use google to find where to buy)

I sourced all my hid parts from "theretrofitsource"

Bi-xenon: Matchbox Stage III
MATCHBOX-STG3-R

Projectors
2 x Bi-xenon: Morimoto Matchbox 2.0 $0.00
MATCHBOX-S

Shrouds
2 x Micro Gatling $0.00
MICROGAT

Ballasts
2 x Morimoto XB35 (35W) $0.00
XB-BALLAST-35

Ballast Igniters (Required)
2 x Morimoto XB Igniter (AMP) $0.00
IGNITER-AMP

Bulbs
2 x H1: 3Five 6000K $0.00
H-ONE-6K

Wire Harness
1 x MotoControl Bixenon: H4/9003 $0.00
MCBX-H4

XB LED Halos
2 x 60mm White $40.00
LEDRING-60W

Sealant
1 x OCI Butyl Rubber Glue $10.00
OCIGLUE

MotoControl Bixenon: H4/9003
MCBX-H4

Retro-Quik: Spyder/Spec-D Lights
RETROQUIK-SPYDER-R

Projectors
2 x Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 (LHD) $0.00
MH16-LH

Hardware
2 x Spyder/Spec-D Hardware $0.00
HARDWARE-SPYDER

Ballasts
2 x Morimoto XB35 (35W) $80.00
XB-BALLAST-35

Ballast Igniters (Required w/ Ballasts)
2 x Morimoto XB Igniter (AMP) $30.00

IGNITER-AMP

Bulbs

2 x H1: 3Five 6000K $25.00
H-ONE-6K

Re-sealing Glue
1 x OCI Butyl Rubber Glue $10.00
OCIGLUE

Dremel EZ Lock Starter Kit
DREMEL-EZLOCK-STARTERKIT

JB Weld Epoxy
JBWELD-R

Product
1 x JBWeld Steel Stik $0.00
JBWELD-STIK

JB Weld Epoxy
JBWELD-R

Product
1 x JBWeld Quik Weld (Pro Size) $15.00
JBWELD-PRO

Step 1
once you get your kit bench test it make sure everything works. for the quad projector please note that the motocontrol box will one will be used for the left and the other will be used for the right side.

STEP 2
separate your lens housing
7 minutes in an oven at 265 degrees Fahrenheit to open

Step 3
fit the spyder spec d brackets in to the morimoto projector and mount into the housing this is a direct bolt on using the adjustable screws to aim the headlight more detailed guide here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy-installation-guides/specd-guide.html
SpecD2.png

IMG_3318_zpsqfaqc0kk.jpg

IMG_3316_zpsr0xttbtj.jpg
IMG_3316_zpsr0xttbtj.jpg

Step 4 (The Hard Part) - Matchbox Projectors
now that the one side is mounted we can move on to the other bulb where the high beam light used to be.
this other part requires some cutting and drilling to fit. I ended up using the reflector to get the Matchbox projectors to mount. for the reflector i basically used a large step bit and drilled the reflector out so I can bolt the projector and sandwich it in place with the provided silicone washers. I then used jb weld to glue it in place. I also had to make new ajusting screws for the other side as the weight of the projector keeps popping out the factory screws out of the ball socket. I went to the hardware store and bought the same length bolts and doubled nutted one end and ground the head off to fit behind the reflector. before glueing in the projector make sure it is level and strait!!!

more detailed guide of Matchbox Projector
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy-installation-guides/morimoto-matchbox-2-0-guide.html

IMG_3323_zps7mknmrqg.jpg

IMG_3322_zps4evtldxf.jpg

IMG_3321_zpsqzsrnzip.jpg

I also cut a spot to get a flat head screwdriver to aim the beam
IMG_3320_zpscxh05akk.jpg

once mounted should look like this
IMG_3319_zpse9vzzyyw.jpg

Step 5 Hook it up and test test test!!!!
test the high beam actuators at least 30 times before sealing up the lens
IMG_3315_zpsmigphljj.jpg

IMG_3314_zpszjraroqg.jpg

sealed it up and tested the halos and daemon eyes additional bling
IMG_3312_zpsaifed35b.jpg

as you can see in this pic minor trimming was needed to fit the projector and the shroud (far right projector) the left proector did not require a shroud to fit evenly.
IMG_3311_zpsbsjsd6bx.jpg

step 6 seal it up and install and adjust aim
I basically aimed each individual beam using the adjusting screws on the back. i used this method of aiming the beam

here it is installed
IMG_3328_zpsplgleypw.jpg

here is my light beam pattern
IMG_3333_zpszz8cqggy.jpg

Last edited:
thanks guys I forgot to mention if you do not want to do the full Quad bi-xenon you could just get this kit and skip the last few steps:
"Retro-Quik: Spyder/Spec-D Lights"

I have to say with quad setup like mine the light output is insane. on a 5 lane hiway and i am in the middle lane I can light up the whole road without blinding anyone. sharp chrisp and no glare.

So you're in for about $600 or so after everything was said and done?

looking good!!!

So you're in for about $600 or so after everything was said and done?

around $600 for the quad hid kit but for normal bi-xeon expect half if you do not want to do drilling and trimming.

sometimes they have coupons online the biggest one i have seen is 25%

and plus the cost of the spyder/sonar headlamp which for me was around M.S.R.P: $313.99

the headlamps you can get them in chrome or black

I don't mean to be advertising for this company its just what I have used and what worked for me...
Sonar-Halo-Projector-Headlights-91-97-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-33-98-YD_PRO_TLAND91_C_m.jpg
Sonar-Halo-Projector-Headlights-Black-91-97-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-33-98-YD_PRO_TLAND91_BK_m.jpg

around $600 for the quad hid kit but for normal bi-xeon expect half if you do not want to do drilling and trimming.

sometimes they have coupons online the biggest one i have seen is 25%

and plus the cost of the spyder/sonar headlamp which for me was around M.S.R.P: $313.99

the headlamps you can get them in chrome or black

I don't mean to be advertising for this company its just what I have used and what worked for me...
Sonar-Halo-Projector-Headlights-91-97-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-33-98-YD_PRO_TLAND91_C_m.jpg
Sonar-Halo-Projector-Headlights-Black-91-97-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-33-98-YD_PRO_TLAND91_BK_m.jpg

Are the lens on these glass or acrylic? If they are acrylic, do you know how thick they are?

Acrylic lens. Around 3 a 3.5mm thick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom