Q1: lost gas cap, new ones won't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
i know, never set your gas cap down and drive away after filling. but i did. now i can't find one that fits. the auto parts store sold me the gas cap for all years, but it's really small. the filler pipe opening in my 71 fj40 is 2 3/4" wide. can anyone help me?

i got one for my 72 at carquest. it's the one for the minitruck.

jonathan

i got my from advanced auto parts.. and i know my local auto zone have them also.. might try there...

i've been to autozone, advance auto, napa and o'reilly. they all say the same cap for landcruisers 1969-1983. i'll ask them about the mini-truck tomorrow though. thanks for the suggestion.

if all else fails let me know i can pick a couple up and ship it to you if u need it. that way u'll have a new one that fits and an extra or 2 for back up. just in case i know i've lsot 3 now myself.
nate

i lost mine to but i got a gas cap from a 63 chevy to fit. i just had one laying around, but you might want to try an old chevy PU if you cant find a cruiser one.

I had a similiar problem with my '71. lost the cap on the trail. :slap: I couldn't find one at the local parts store, so I ordered one from the local toyota dealer.

the mini truck is the same cap as the fj40. too small. Maybe i'm not explaining my problem very well. I can find a gas cap at any local auto parts store. the problem is that they are all too SMALL. the pipe they cap is about 1 1/2" wide. mine is 2 3/4" wide. i don't know where my pipe came from, or why it's different. but i'm looking for someone out there who might have the same size fuel filler pipe, and would be able to tell me what vehicle i need to get a new gas cap for to fit. thanks for all your replies.

It'll fit fine (I have the same filler pipe). But it isn't a locker.

I had mine stolen and had the same problem with my '66. Some would sorta fit, but no lockers. Bought a newer filler neck, but the bend was different, and the mounting holes did not line up. Ended up cutting the fill flange off both and welding the new one to my old tube, what a PITA, but I now have a locking gas cap. I really need to write down all the bastardized parts I've cobbled up and stuck on this thing.
I know they narrowed all filler necks with the advent of unleaded gas, but that old filler neck was really W-I-D-E, have no idea why, except maybe easier to fill from a Jerry can????
Ed Long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom