PZJ77 replacement fuel tank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I've had a small leak under the tank for the last month or so and finally decided to empty the tank, remove the straps and shield to have a look underneath. Overall the tank is in pretty good condition but in one area where mud/water has accumulated between the rubber pads and the tank there is a severely rusted patch and I can see diesel is seeping through the rust. I'll attempt a temporary fix using a Permatex tank repair kit (epoxy clay similar to JB Weld) as I'm leaving soon on a trip.

PXL_20220811_132915242.jpg

Once I'm back if I can't figure a way to perform a more definitive/durable repair I'll consider replacing the tank but I'm not sure which currently available part(s) will fit. According to toyodiy.com the original part for my truck (1991 PZJ77-MNS) was 77100-60280 which is no longer available. Amayama.com seems to say that 77001-60914 (and possibly 77001-60912) would fit but I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm. If it doesn't fit or if no new original Toyota parts are available are there aftermarket solutions available for my truck?

Oh! and final question. I've left the tank in place and haven't disconnected any of the fuel lines in hope that fuel currently in the lines would remain there and I wouldn't have to prime and bleed but I don't know that there is a check valve anywhere which would prevent backflow into the tank. Was I naïve to hope I wouldn't have to prime/bleed if I didn't disconnect anything before refilling the tank up and starting the engine?

Thanks!

I had a similar situation, far from civilization and used seal-all and blue shop towels to stop the leak. It wound up being a permanent fix. Even with the diesel washing the seal-all out it was able, with a few reinforcing layers of towel to set up and eventually fill the hole. I always keep some in my toolbox now.

Nice but quite expensive!
Owning a 70 series isn’t going to get any cheaper in the US.

I like that cubby compartment also but I don’t really use it.

Long Range Automotive is an option but you will lose the cubby hole at the end (it will have to be cut out). I think @Loober was the one that did this. Maybe it was a new fuel tank from @joekatana but I don't remember.

Long Range Fuel Tanks from Long Range Automotive - Buy in America - https://longrangeamerica.com/shop-tanks/

That's correct, I installed one of joekatana's long range tanks on my 77, one of the best mods I did. There is a some mods that need to made to the cubby, but it doesn't have to be eliminated all together. I posted some photos on the thread joe started for the tanks a while back.

@tohox I still have my stock tank, it is in great shape, if you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom