Builds PZJ70 build-refurbish!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
So I recently picked up a 1990 PZJ70. I am a vendor and I can go two ways with this.

1)Keep it all to myself until it is time for resale. I do plan to sell this truck and that is why I bought it.

2) I can do a build/refurbish thread as I prepare the truck for resale and bring it up to my standards.

I am not sure I care that much either way. However this is a very nice 70 for being 27yrs old and I do enjoy not only doing build threads but working on these old trucks. It does take time and effort though to do a build thread and the point of it is not to boost my resell interest. Rather just to share the truck with the community as I work on it and bring it up to what I consider a solid truck.

So what say you!? This is a LHD Cruiser that I purchased from the widow of the old man who passed away. It is a one owner truck but being 27yrs old still needs work to meet my standards.

Cheers

So I recently picked up a 1990 PZJ70. I am a vendor and I can go two ways with this.

1)Keep it all to myself until it is time for resale. I do plan to sell this truck and that is why I bought it.

2) I can do a build/refurbish thread as I prepare the truck for resale and bring it up to my standards.

I am not sure I care that much either way. However this is a very nice 70 for being 27yrs old and I do enjoy not only doing build threads but working on these old trucks. It does take time and effort though to do a build thread and the point of it is not to boost my resell interest. Rather just to share the truck with the community as I work on it and bring it up to what I consider a solid truck.

So what say you!? This is a LHD Cruiser that I purchased from the widow of the old man who passed away. It is a one owner truck but being 27yrs old still needs work to meet my standards.

Cheers

Ian, Are you bring this back home to update or staying down south with it?

Jason

Jason

Hey Jason, it is coming north to the states. I don't plan to buy my own personal Cruiser I keep down here for awhile. I am investing all my money in the new business venture and until things are in the green I am not keeping any of them.

Cheers

Jason

Cheers
pics or its not true

pics or its not true

IMG_3919.JPG

Cheers

Alrighty, lets get into this.

1990 PZJ70LV-MN is the model of this truck. Latin spec.
Vin: PZJ70-0001612
Engine: 1PZ
Trans: R151F
Axle: K255 and rear is an LSD (4.56 gears)
Color: 4K1
Trim: FA40 (LX trim)
Build plant: A11

I do believe for this market, LX was the highest trim level offered in a PZJ70.
Spare parts for Toyota LAND CRUISER/LAND CRUISER PRADO PZJ70 | Buy high quality spare parts for Automobile at reasonable prices in MegaZip online shop.

Rear axle is a full float which I believe came this way from the factory, after searching the Toyota EPC using my vin number. Drum brakes rear and disc front.

Factory A/C truck. No heater. Got all the heater stuff sourced though.

The truck has been painted. It is a very good paint job overall. Not a USA $10+k paint job but for this part of the world you very rarely see them painted to this level. Hardly any rust in this sucker at all that I can find. Virtually no body filler, I use a body filler detector on all trucks and this one is checking out real clean. All the original glass is in the truck in excellent condition.

It does have it's issues and I have already started in on repairs. I am compiling a list of repairs and things I need to do to it to bring it up to my standards. I will also be tidying up the interior and other details. If you have watched any of my other builds here on Mud you know I am pretty anal about details.

This truck is my DD until I sell it. Pics to come!

Cheers

Last edited:
Seems there is a bit of a bad vibe on the forum for 1PZs and R151's. I did my research before buying this truck and have done a lot since. I am sure we can all agree there are better engines and trans in the 70's but considering this is a SWB and fairly light truck I don't see any issues with the powertrain. The truck has 31's currently and I was pretty impressed with how well it pulls being a 5cyl N/A diesel. Obviously the 4.56's have a lot to do with that. The R151 probably isn't the best trans in a heavy truck like a PZJ77 or if you are revving and dumping the clutch or rocking the truck hard in a mud hole. I had an 87 P/U with the R151 and enjoyed it in that truck a lot. The only issues I can find on the forum with the 1PZ is it's flywheel and there are options for that if it goes.

This truck has about 210,000 miles. Considering the area I bought it in here in Latin America didn't have paved roads 27yrs ago and just the pure age of the truck it is in real good shape. The truck is a 12v truck which I think is nice, I have had a 24v truck before and much prefer 12v.

The trans shifter was sloppy so I have already rebuilt that using new OEM parts. Nice and tight now. I ordered everything to do the timing belt and water pump which will be here on Tuesday. The other night I pulled the timing cover and to m surprise the belt is new and OEM Toyota. The truck has a clutch booster and I can't recall the last truck I have driven with a clutch booster. The auto glow system is working flawless and the truck starts easily.

So any ways, here is my list so far of immediate work to be done.

-replace the radiator, upper and lower hoses and the thermostat. I may even do the water outlets depending on condition. The rad has a couple repairs on the caps and also a slight leak on the top outlet. A new cap will go on as well and I plan to replace the isolation mounting bushings. I don't think the truck has a thermostat in it or it is stuck open, it doesn't come up to temp enough.

-As mentioned, new water pump and timing belt components will be here in two days.

-New clutch. I can't say what condition it is in, it is not giving me signs of being toast but for the sake of doing it, a new clutch is going in. It is soft but I believe that is due to the booster. When the truck is not running it is nice and stiff.

-There is some JB Weld on the outlet pipe on the p/s reservoir. It doesn't leak and seems to be fine but for the sake of bringing this truck up to my standards I am replacing the reservoir.

-The front passenger seat has two bunged up mounts, both previously repaired but not the best repairs jobs. I will be cutting and welding as required to fix these for good.

-The oil pressure gauge is not working. Not sure if it is the actual gauge yet or the sending unit. I will be replacing what ever is required to make it work as it should.

-Rear door on the RHS needs some adjustment. I have already got it closing and latching better than when I bought the truck but I will be giving it a full work over. The rear doors welting is missing so it will get a new one.

-I have already replaced the wiper blades but will also be replacing the linkage and the arms using OEM parts.

-Washer bottle motor is not working, if needed I will replace the motor. The cap is cracked on the reservoir so that will also get replaced.

-Leaf spring bushings are fairly well worked over. New ones are going in.

-Most of the tie roads and drag link plus pitman arm seem ok but will replace any and all parts as needed.

-Front wheel bearings are a touch loose. Not bad but enough to warrant digging into the knuckles and at the very least a repack and proper adjustment. They are not making any noise, if any parts in the knuckles show wear I will replace them.

-Inlet pipe on the A/C shows a tig weld repair. No issues but for aesthetics I will likely replace this hose. A/C blows nice and cold very quickly after starting the truck.

-Throttle cable is fine but I am replacing it anyways, I am just anal like that.

-Oil pan plug is a mess. JB welded up. I will be replacing the oil pan.

-A compression test will be performed. I checked the engine for blowby before purchase and it passed with flying colors so I am fairly confident compression is good also. Valves will be adjsuted if I feel it needs it.

-Yes the wheels are not stock and fairly ugly. I have posted pics on FB of the truck and man did people go on about the wheels. Honestly I don't see what the big deal is, that are not that awful to me and wheels + tires is probably the easiest in any of this to remedy. Yes I will be replacing both even though the tires are new. I will be going with some BFG KO2's in a 32-33", leaning towards 295's on a 16" wheel.

-The carpet is shot, I am looking into a vinyl floor for the truck.

-Seats have been recovered and look pretty good to me. However the drivers seat has some issues I will be dealing with.

-The console is shot, will be going with a Tuffy I modify to suit the truck or just fab up a new one from scratch.

-E-Brake needs adjustment. Brakes work great though. I may or may not dig into them, I am pretty anal about brakes so will just have to take a look see at the pads, rear wheel cylinders and so forth.

-I am probably going to put sound deadener in the whole floor and inside doors and panels.

-The is most if not all of the repairs. The rest is just aesthetics, but I will be dealing with those as well. Such as new rear side window weatherstripping/runs. The grill I am told and front running/turn signal lights are from a 2007. I don't mind them myself. The tint on the windshield is lame and will be removed, probably leave the rest of the tint. The electricals and wiring in the truck is in great shape and doesn't need much attention. Headlights are original and work just fine.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think the truck had power door locks at one time due to the switch hole in the panel. I will know for sure once I pull the panel. I may be replacing this panel and will be replacing all of the interior trim snaps that holds the panels in place.

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

Cheers

The truck in my new shop down here in Latin America. And yes I have already removed that big "Browning Firearms" sticker off the rear window.

IMG_3940.JPG

Tearing into it.....
IMG_3953.JPG

More to come, this truck is now mostly my full time job!

Cheers

Mines a 1990 LX.... It has the KO85 rear lsd 4.11 diff., central locking , air con and power windows.....I bought it as a dd at 113,000 and its just hit 350,000 , half of that towing about a ton......Great little truck , reliable as hell.
electric front hubs are crap , replaced with manual , dual mass fly wheel are crap , replaced with solid at 125,000....A set or headers realy freed up the revs and make the 1pz like a petrol too drive
When i bought it it would do 140kmph and used 1ltr of oil every 10,000......Nothing has changed , if anything it goes even better with the headers......Had the gear box rebuilt at 200,000 but i think 2 dual mass fly wheels falling too bits may have given it a shake up....The R151 isnt the strongest LC box , but in a shorty thats not getting abused they should be as strong as any of the competition.

I enjoyed the pictures of the truck. Looks pretty clean. Wheels have to go in my opinion. It must be a South American thing to put on fugly wheels.

Mine had some ugly black wheels when it came from Colombia and one of them didn't even match the other three! Seller should have noticed that and I should have too.

I enjoyed the pictures of the truck. Looks pretty clean. Wheels have to go in my opinion. It must be a South American thing to put on fugly wheels.

Mine had some ugly black wheels when it came from Colombia and one of them didn't even match the other three! Seller should have noticed that and I should have too.

that same exact wheel model can be found on a number of latin suvs, ugly.

too bad you got rid of the tribal browning sticker, please do not remove jesus in the rear view.

cool find!

that same exact wheel model can be found on a number of latin suvs, ugly.

too bad you got rid of the tribal browning sticker, please do not remove jesus in the rear view.

cool find!

Haha! Jesus went on the door of my shop to ward off thieves.

Cheers

I didn't realize yours was a Colombian truck. Gas then huh? Got a link to a build thread? I been to Colombia four times, great country and tons of Cruisers but they are all gassers. I have seen a few here with the 1fz, I am thinking that moves a swb pretty good.

And yes they do like butt ugly wheels in Latin America.

Good on ya for spelling "Colombia" correctly, I see that counties name spelled wrong way to much.

I have seen two 73s where I am with a diesel, not sure if they were the 3B or 1PZ though. I want one and just missed a really good one by about three weeks. They are rare here where I am at.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom