Pyrometer for a 3B (to be turbocharged) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

Do you have any recomendations on what pyrometer to choose for a 24 volt 3B cruiser (BJ75). I want to mount this as I am also planning to turbocharge and intercool it.

Have been looking at some meters from Autometer, think the Sport Comps looked ok, but will they work easily with the 24 volt cruiser?

I want a 2 1/16 inch diameter, preferably with black background. Also I would want a tacho, and a boost meter in the same style as the pyro.

Any thing I should pay special attention to? Will probably have to order from abroad, don't know where to get them in Norway.

Thanks in advance,
Vegard.

Several brands offer nice gauges. I went with autometer and really couldn't tell you why. Do a search on this forum as we've been over a few gauges. THe ISSPRO are nice, VDO, Westach., etc. hth

First off, I don't know where to find a 24volt pyro. That should not matter though as the pyro itself does not draw electric power for its operation. A pyrometer has a probe which transduces temperture to an electric current that is displayed on the gauge. I believe it uses dissimilar metals to do so.

The one concern is for the peanut bulb that iluminates the gauge at night. Either swap out the 12volt bulb with a 24volt one OR feed the gauge light using power tapped from your DC/DC 24/12 converter. You DO have a converter, don't you? If not you should.

No, no, no... most importantly, YOU MUST FIRST post pics of your BJ75... then WE decide what YOU should do with your truck...!!! (insert frown and grin here...)
What was the question again?
Cheers! (envious of your 75)

Thanks guys!

I thought that I had to use the trucks electric power to amplify the signal sent from the probe. If that is not the case, then it will only be the instrument lighting that needs to be taken care of. That helps.

Do you know if there is any sender for a tachometer in the 3B? Or is there some easy way to mount an aftermarket sender?

Rigpig: would like to post some more pictures, but I posted 3 in another thread, and now it seems I cannot post more pics unless I delete the others, right?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Greatings from Northern Norway,
Vegard.

Use an Isspro pyrometer. They are OEM for several heavy trucks and will have 24v stuff. BJ60 tach sensors are on the bellhousing.

I recently buy this one ..

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...art=VDO-310953&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

vdo-310953.jpg

is an option in 2 1/16 black and white, the idea is match most that I can with the original gauges.

I will try to get some pictures posted when the time comes. Presently I am doing some recuired bodywork on the 75. No time and money for the turbo mount. But the plans are there, and I am slowly collecting necessary parts.

Is it not possible to post more than a few kb's of pictures? Must I delete my old ones to post new?

Tapage: I liked the clean look on that pyro. Also, it was not as expensive as the others I've seen.

Speaking of pyro kits, anyone know the max. safe temp for a 13B-T? I'm looking to increase boost pressure, I found a great in-dash kit for regulating the waste gate, one click on the knob=1psi boost, beats the hell out of a jury rigged grainger valve, at about $100.00. Does exhuast size affect temp? I have to re-do the exhaust, so I figured I might as well go for a straight through muffler with a 3-1/2" or 4" pipe (stainless if I can afford it:) ).

BTW: I have found a good place for various 24v parts(relays, bulbs, etc.) is Caterpillar dealers. They don't look at you sideways when you say, "24V", like they do at Napa, Advance, Lordco, etc.

Yes, exhaust size does have an effect on EGT. If one has a larger pipe, exhause gasses can escape more readily, and thus lower temps. Proper air/fuel ratio is still important, so overfueling will still increase EGT. I imagine that the turbine outlet pipe would also have some bearing on this.

-Kevin

BTW, please don't keep us insuspense re: your wastegate controller. Specifically the who's and where's.

-Kevin

Agree .!! :D where do you find the wastegate controler .. ( in dash .. ! wou .. ! )

By the way, as you seen before, increase the bost press do not affect your EGT, but .. ! ( always but ) you need to take care with your boost press n your pistons .. and hole engine. I thought all 13B-T already come from stock with 9 PSI of boost, I thought that safety is no more than 14 PSI. in a really good engine.

Tapage: I liked the clean look on that pyro. Also, it was not as expensive as the others I've seen.

Yep .. I spend a lots of time searching one cheap and stock look pyro. ;)

I'll get back on the wastegate controller,"Turbosmart boost-tee controller", I saw it at a place called "E.I.P. Tuning" here in MD eiptuning.com . Link: http://www.tweakit.net/shop/index.php?manufacturers_id=18&sort=2a&filter_id=37. Pretty cool, they make a nice "turbo minder" too.

So, does anyone know the temp range for the exhaust? I have heard 13-14psi is pretty safe. The stock boost is 6-8psi. Mine pushes max. 8psi @ about 2,800rpm. Also, how might one monitor the air/fuel ratio?

I do like the look of the Autometer pyros, fairly inexpensive for new on ebay.

When re doing the exaust on my 74 13-bt the consesus was 2.5 inch best pipe diameter.....bigger means more noise not more power.I used a temro spin silencer ......big breathing improvement.
Cheers Stephen

It seems from what I can gather from other posts is: 14psi and a max temp of 1200F is pretty safe. Where can I find a "temro spin silencer". How to monitor air/fuel mix?

Chang-kuao-lo said:
It seems from what I can gather from other posts is: 14psi and a max temp of 1200F is pretty safe. Where can I find a "temro spin silencer". How to monitor air/fuel mix?

I'm not totaly sure about 14PSI are safe .. btu 1200ºF is the max safe temp that you can handle ..

Thanks for the input, all. I looked into an air/fuel monitor and was advised that this would be pointles because, by the time the air/fuel alerts you to a problem, the damage is already done, it looks cool, but that's about it as far a diesel goes. Pyro kit is the way to go, just spotted one in the JC Whitney catalogue today for 149.99, and it's a faze guage, matches the boost and oil press. :)

Again, what is a "temro spin silencer"? I can't see a 13B-T with a 3-31/2" exhuast and straight thrugh muffler being any louder than a cummins or powersmoke, you have to bloody well yell over those things, I've driven quieter Intrenational tractors.

Hi Chang
Temro is a canadian company that makes silencers for industrial plants, hospital generators etc. they are very effecient and leading edge design ....super quality and heavy duty construction.They have a web site.My coment about noise was that larger pipes won,t give you better performance with an engine of this size. If you do long trips like me with your 74 I find the added decibels get tiresome.The Temro is great in my truck .Every cruiserwise mechanic who drives it says it's the strongest almost stock 13-bt they've driven. Cheers Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom