1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pyro installation

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Eric Winkworth, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

Well I just ordered a Pyro for my 3B and I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips on installing it, where should I put the sending unit? Do you just drill and tap a hoel for it? Also they gauge I'm getting is a stewart warner and has green, yellow, red and the temps, what is it normal exhaust temp a 3B should run at?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

2. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Not normal temp, but max should be 1250. try not to go over that.

what kit did you buy?

if you got one with a clamp, drill a hole near the manifold on the exhaust pipe and clamp it there.

then you can mount the thermocouple.

the tuff part is making a good mounting location for the gauge. I used the empy hole in the dash. made a plate from alum and was set.

did you get a 24 v one, or are you running a converter?

good luck.... its not really need though. fairly simple task. just drink some beers before hand to complicate matters.

3. Technikev

Technikev

I think 1250 egt after the turbo is a bit high. The temps usually fall 10-20 percent through the turbo to the best of my knowledge.

1250 degrees F is usually a good max measured somewhere between the exhaust manifold and turbo. I would use about 200 deg. less if you mount the pyro after the turbo. IMHO of course, but better safe than sorry, so I hear. Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out and what kind of EGT you are getting.

-Kevin

4. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

I have a toyota converter already set up to run my deck, and cigerette lighter. I'm going to have to splice into power somewhere , where is the best place to do that? I just bought a digital kit from carquest (I get a discount so I usally buy stuff there) It comes with everything.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

5. brownbear

He doesn't have a turbo on there. So I think 1250 is still a good number for him.

with a turbo you are probably correct.

6. brownbear

Anywhere with 12 v. its going to be a pretty light draw. But it should be ignition on. Not always live.

Even if you spliced off the power wire for the cig lighter.

I think the power wire for the light portions usually ties into the instrument lights. but your digital, so I dunno.

post up a pic of it when you get it. Sounds cool.

7. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

did you have any pic of your Pyro kit .. ? I'm intereted in know if you need to weld something to exhaust pipe .. I buy one from Summit is a VDO pyro kit .. but in the instrucction refer to weld a cap to exhaust pipe and then screw in the cap the sender unit.

8. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

Mine is supposivly the clamp style, we will se when it comes in, I am away all week so I will post it when I get back, thanks for the info guys

Cheers
    Eric

9. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Usually you get the pieces to weld in a bung and the clamp style. At least that's what mine had. Kinda nice since at some point I'll weld in a bung but for a quick hook up I went with the clamp.

10. Technikev

Technikev

Whoops, there it is up there at the top. :doh:

Everyone's entitled to one of those once in a while. LOL

-Kevin