Pyro installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I just ordered a Pyro for my 3B and I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips on installing it, where should I put the sending unit? Do you just drill and tap a hoel for it? Also they gauge I'm getting is a stewart warner and has green, yellow, red and the temps, what is it normal exhaust temp a 3B should run at?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Not normal temp, but max should be 1250. try not to go over that.

what kit did you buy?

if you got one with a clamp, drill a hole near the manifold on the exhaust pipe and clamp it there.

then you can mount the thermocouple.

the tuff part is making a good mounting location for the gauge. I used the empy hole in the dash. made a plate from alum and was set.

did you get a 24 v one, or are you running a converter?

good luck.... its not really need though. fairly simple task. just drink some beers before hand to complicate matters.

I think 1250 egt after the turbo is a bit high. The temps usually fall 10-20 percent through the turbo to the best of my knowledge.

1250 degrees F is usually a good max measured somewhere between the exhaust manifold and turbo. I would use about 200 deg. less if you mount the pyro after the turbo. IMHO of course, but better safe than sorry, so I hear. Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out and what kind of EGT you are getting.

-Kevin

I have a toyota converter already set up to run my deck, and cigerette lighter. I'm going to have to splice into power somewhere , where is the best place to do that? I just bought a digital kit from carquest (I get a discount so I usally buy stuff there) It comes with everything.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Technikev said:
I think 1250 egt after the turbo is a bit high. The temps usually fall 10-20 percent through the turbo to the best of my knowledge.

-Kevin

He doesn't have a turbo on there. So I think 1250 is still a good number for him.

with a turbo you are probably correct.

Eric Winkworth said:
I have a toyota converter already set up to run my deck, and cigerette lighter. I'm going to have to splice into power somewhere , where is the best place to do that? Thanks for the info

Cheers

Anywhere with 12 v. its going to be a pretty light draw. But it should be ignition on. Not always live.

Even if you spliced off the power wire for the cig lighter.

I think the power wire for the light portions usually ties into the instrument lights. but your digital, so I dunno.

post up a pic of it when you get it. Sounds cool.

did you have any pic of your Pyro kit .. ? I'm intereted in know if you need to weld something to exhaust pipe .. I buy one from Summit is a VDO pyro kit .. but in the instrucction refer to weld a cap to exhaust pipe and then screw in the cap the sender unit.

Mine is supposivly the clamp style, we will se when it comes in, I am away all week so I will post it when I get back, thanks for the info guys

Cheers
Eric

Usually you get the pieces to weld in a bung and the clamp style. At least that's what mine had. Kinda nice since at some point I'll weld in a bung but for a quick hook up I went with the clamp.

brownbear said:
He doesn't have a turbo on there. So I think 1250 is still a good number for him.

with a turbo you are probably correct.

Whoops, there it is up there at the top. :doh:

Everyone's entitled to one of those once in a while. LOL

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom