Pyro gauge install calgary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone is has installed their own pyro gauge and is Calgary.

I am hoping to have one installed and I'm not to confident in doing it myself. Just wondering if there is anyone in Calgary that would be able to give me a hand!

thanks

John

I also have the "dreaded 2LTE" and although I can not offer any advice on the pyrometer installation ( mine was installed by the previous owner) I can tell you that having a pyrometer on that engine will be money well spent. You probably will be shocked to see how much heat the turbo produces with you load the engine.
Even on moderate inclines it is not uncommon to see temps rise into the "yellow band" quickly. As I am sure you know "heat and 2LTE" are not word you want to see in the same sentence.
Good luck...........................1978HJ45 ( 1990 LJ78)

I will be installing one a 1HD-T later tomorrow I will get some pics but usually you just install it right before the turbo.

before or after makes no difference, they are a GUIDE to correct improper driving habits.
if you are driving near the max all the time then change you driving habits.

1200F before turbo
1000F after turbo

safe guide but not "oh my bloody lord, i went over and now i am screwed" finality ...

"Crushers" is offering good advice and it would be prudent to take it to heart. I live in an area that is mostly flat with an occasional hill and even on the modest inclines it is not unusual to see temps in excess of 900 degress (F). At least on my LJ78 if you keep the temps. in this range for a prolonged period you will see an increase in water temp. which can lead to a host of problems on a stock 2L-TE.
Take care.......................1978HJ45

:lol:
i got a call yesterday from a bloke in Toronto that has the rarest of the rare LJ78. 2 years in Canada and the head hasn't cracked AND he towed 3000 lbs down to florida and back in 35C weather...

he best keep that golden horseshoe of his attached to his butt!!

so, yes, there is about 1% of 2LTEs that actually survive more than a year in Canada...

Buy a golden horseshoe....don't live in Canada..........GOT IT
Use an adhesive that will secure said horseshoe to rear end without causing a rash....GOT IT
That makes me feel better about my LJ78.............1978HJ45

said horseshoe can only be found in the Kicking horse river and has to have been made by a one armed blacksmith in the 1800s ...

i got a call yesterday from a bloke in Toronto that has the rarest of the rare LJ78. 2 years in Canada and the head hasn't cracked AND he towed 3000 lbs down to florida and back in 35C weather...

he best keep that golden horseshoe of his attached to his butt!!

so, yes, there is about 1% of 2LTEs that actually survive more than a year in Canada...

I have heard of people who can manage to drive them without cracking heads. I think alot of it is driving habit.
Put a pyro and a water temp gauge on it. Drive very reserved. I think people try and drive them like a sports car and it just can't take it. The Pyrometer I installed on my 81 made me jaw drop on the highway hills. I have a new respect for the gauge and I will be installing them on future diesels.

If thats a real river I will include it in my next vacation plans.

All LJ78 owners need to realize that their Cruiser is heavy and certainly underpowered and should be driven accordingly. You may still have problems with the engine but the odds shift in your favor if you do not drive it like a sports car.
.............1978HJ45

agreed,
or into a strong head wind
or up a steep long hill
or a long gentle grade
or tow a trailer
or climb out the wrong side of the bed

or, and this one is important, lend it to someone that doesn't appreciate the severityof the situation...

okay, okay,
if you leave it parked in your garage then you have no fear of cracking the head...

is that more "glass half full" for yah?

"No that is glass broken and leaking".....now I have to figure out how I am going to get to work in the morning. I guess I can roll the ole HJ45 out of the garage. .................1978HJ45

you have a 45 and am driving the LJ?
s***, sell the LJ and stick a diesel engine in the 45 and you have the best of all worlds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom