pwr steering pump squealing, still. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this is on my 79 troopy with sag conversion. new pump, new pulley(correct width) and plenty of fluid. i can't even drive it because it squeals so bad. when turning the pulley will stop spinning almost completely. what could this be? i think i've asked this before, but is there some kind of adjustment on the saginaw box?

I had exact problem last month...the culprit ended up being the undetected loose alternator belt.

Near lock, the pump would almost stop the belt and the central pulley... the noise was then coming from the other belt.

tightened the alternator belt, problem solved.:)

i have a gm alt on the same belt as the power steering pump. the alt is right below the pump. my second belt only runs the factory a/c compressor.

should have mentioned this before, but the wheels are very hard to turn. can't really turn at all unless i'm moving. so, it's not just a squealing problem-it's a drivability problem too.

i've got the belt as tight as i can get it, but it's still squealin. everything stops spinning, but the crank when i turn the wheel. and since i got it a little tighter it turns to the left fine, but when i turn to the right it bogs down and i can see the bracket flexing. there has got to be something else wrong somewhere. i pulled the return line and stuck it in the top to see if i was getting good flow and i am. i bled it again real good, but no luck. i don't know what else to do, but buy a new steering box. any ideas?:confused:

start with a new pump, easiest of the two to replace, hope you got one with a lifetime warranty. then report back

Is this a new conversion or did it work ok in the past? If new, how much of a belt wrap do you have on the pulley? Just seems odd with a tight belt and good wrap the pulley would stop.

Too much load?

I don't recall ever seeing PS run off the same belt as an alt, except w/an S-belt, but, hey, I only been doing this 40 years. Usually, the alt is run with the water pump pulley & the A/C & PS got they own dedicated belts. The PS is mostly run direct off the crank pulley, & now you know why. You may need to go to multi-belt pulleys. In the meantime, don't wind that belt too tight or you'll trash your water pump & alt bearings.

Pump

I think your pump is dead. Go buy a new one. It's quick/easy/cheap.

I had that problem once also. It wasn't squealing, it just would not turn.
It was a bad pump.

JR

When my sag pump went bad (mini truck conversion), it didn't make much noise, just wouldn't turn the wheels unless I goosed the throttle. New pump, turns fine.

fixed

i had already replaced the pump twice. thought i had a bad pump the first time. which, as it turns out, i did. but when i put the new pump(2nd pump) on, i also put on a pulley from grainger that's supposed to be the correct width for a toyota belt. part number i got off the faq. so, in doing this i fixed one problem(bad pump)and created another. the belt was too big. i assumed the belt and pulley were matched until i saw the wear marks on the pulley from it slipping, which was ever so small, so smaller belt and problem finally solved.

fyi, i don't know if my belt may have been replaced with a slightly larger one at some point or if the grainger pulley part number in the faq would actually require a smaller belt than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom