Builds Putting the rust demon at bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In college I bought my 73 fj40 in the northeast(Vt). It ran great and I drove it for the next 7 years, sometimes my only vehicle others just for enjoyment. After moving out west, I decided I needed a four speed and a v8 would be worth it as long as I was at it... The rest of the story is the usual one- I got married, the cruiser sat in a mostly disassembled state for the last 12 years. It has moved a few times but never on its own power since I tore it down to a bare frame.
Mods I started:
Mini truck disc brakes
Chevy 350/SM465/3speed transfer
Shackle reversal
OME 2.5 lift
And just bought a 80 steering box
All that is in various states of completion, of course. I have a plan to figure that all out, but that gets me to my other issue...

As I mentioned, this is a northeast cruiser and it has a bit of rust to contend with to get it to a point my wife will let our son ride in it. It's not as bad it could of been since it was originally from the northeast. I'm not looking for anything I couldn't take wheeling in the rocks. The corners are toast along with the rear bed and the front floor needs patches. If I get it sand blasted, will it get the rust in the seams taken care of? Or am I better off waiting until I can afford a new tub?

My quest to do a frame off restmod started in 2005. It's well worth the wait. I'm at the point where I'm adding some finishing touches: electric winch, forward facing rear seats, ect. So 11 years for me.

I've had a bunch of cruiser parts sandblasted and my guy get's in every nook and cranny imaginable. The 40 series fantics here are going to want to see pictures of your rust spots. I would think a new tub would put you 3,6 or 12 months ahead in your goal of "project completion". Guys that know more about tubs will probably chime in on time savings. Due post some photo's, as guys with tons of experience will offer their thoughts. In the end it's how do you get your build to the finish line.

Not sure how far along you are on your V8 conversion. If you haven't crossed that bridge yet, here's a couple things I learned the hard way:

Make sure your engine is placed so you can run a mechanical fan.

Do not re-install your OEM harness until you've sanded every old connection, including the fuse block.

Cheers

Sandblasting your tub will expose the other 90% or the rust you can't see now, it will blow out the thinner metal. As long as you are cutting out the bad areas and replacing, it won't make that much of a difference, browse through the end of my thread, I am getting in to the body work now, I just got my tub back from the sandblaster a few months ago.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sorry didn't have any photos to start the thread. Im most curious about the options in regards to the areas where the panels are welded together.
I'm probably not going to do this for a bit, but I want to get a game plan started in regards to this phase...

It looks like it is in a garage at this point? If so, the rust isn't going to be progressing all that fast. Hold off until you are ready, or go at your own pace. To me, it doesn't look like you NEED a new tub. Once you start cutting, you will find more rust between the panels. That amount of rust is certainly fixable. However, those seams all need to be cut out and repaired. When you cut them out, you better add some bracing to keep everything lined up. A cut off wheel and spot weld cutter will be your friend during this process. Have fun and take lots of pics!

Im in the same boat, $1500 saved up. Another $2000 of junk on ebay (high end junk)
Iv only been down to the tub on bolt off about a month.

HelL its going to look awesome but wont have smog! California so it wont even get driven!!!!

What shape is the frame in? If you decide to replace rusty tub sections, is that something you would DIY.

image.jpeg
BRR-When I started the drivetrain swap I figured I may as well rip it down to the bare frame. I sent it out to have it blasted and painted. I then repaired the rust and mounted the drivetrain. When I put the tub back on the frame, I realized I had the shifter coming up into the heater. About this time the project shifted to the back burner in the usual way...

The frame is done, that's good news.

Ahh yes, the shift tower under the heater. I had that hurdle too. Have you come up with a solution yet?

Are you able to run a mechanical fan?

My thoughts are evolving and a couple buddies are starting to persuade me toward an aqualu tub. I'm trying to decide what would be cheaper/better. My guess is that the aqualu will be better quality than my welding(middling at best). I need to start looking at panel costs as well I suppose, but the ready made tub is very tempting.
Ive always wanted to see British Columbia and I'm toying with driving up and bringing a tub back. Anyone done this? How much did they pop you for at the border in taxes and such? I'd really like to stretch the wheelbase as well. Its fun to dream....

BRR-
I'm not currently able to run a mechanical fan. Currently, I'm setup with an electrical can that is supposed to be able handle the load. I'm debating on moving the drivetrain, unfortunately I don't remember why I chose this placement.

Not sure why my drivetrain placed so far forward either. I elected to leave it in place and hoped an electric fan would work. So far so good. Seems to be lot's of guys running electric fans.

There is/was a aquala tub for sale on Craigs list in Long Island. Might want to check that out. Been for sale for a while.

I think aqualu answered the question of road tripping and picking it up. Essentially I'll pay more in local taxes if I pick it up from them. So I guess the BC road trip will have to wait. Now where did I leave that extra couple thousand dollars ?

I'm no longer waivering on the tub and have decided to lump the cost of an alum 3/4 tub. I spent a little time crawling in and under mine and it's beyond my skill set to repair it properly. So I've been searching for a link to installing one, but have not found anything detailed. Did I miss an install thread? I saw a lot of happy after the fact comments, but nothing else. Also, outside of a lack of captured nuts, what are the unseen hassles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom