Putting the hardtop back on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This summer was the first time I had the top off. Started putting it back on last night. Looks like the weather is going to turn cooler and I want to be ready. Not sure I will take the top off again. Glad I did, just so I could see the condition of everything and go back with new seals. But I think I like it best with top in place. Taking my time. Might get it wrapped up tonight except for the fiberglass lid. Friend is coming over Thursday to help me set that back on top.

20160920_203927_zpselvws1ky.jpg

20160920_203910_zpsmxgh14xn.jpg

20160920_203900_zpsrcs2e7bo.jpg

Top is surprisingly rust free everywhere. Has a couple of spots with some surface rust, but nothing bad. I've cleaned those up, treated and painted them.
20160920_203843_zpsnvth9ra5.jpg

20160920_203940_zps70uicpsu.jpg

20160920_203830_zpsrtmen4sm.jpg

20160920_204903_zpsyiqb2fow.jpg

that thing looks near new! awesome condition, I only wish for half that nice on mine..

Mine will be the next one to get the top on-never had it on since I owned it!

Nice rig BTW:beer:

I'd like to help but my I can't get the fact of how incredible your 77 looks, I have to take a few minutes! Man,that is one clean looking truck.

Thanks all. I haven't driven it off road, nor in bad weather since I acquired the 40 about four years ago now. Have put about 25K road miles on it. I was very lucky finding this. Took me a year before I pulled the trigger on one. And to think I almost did not buy it back when I made the purchase. Paid a pretty penny, but lower than what others were paying at the time. The seller posted 41 pictures and we talked on the phone. He assured me that the 40's body was near mint, but there were some mechanical issues. I suspect the seller had bought it to basically flip, but he told me he knew the previous owner and that he knew the rig had been cared for. I broke the rule and did not fly cross country to view in person, but went by a virtual hand shake. But as stated, was lucky. Over the past four years I have been upgrading mechanical stuff (new carb, rebuilt knuckles, rebuilt diffs, brakes, OME suspension, etc), but the body and frame are just like when it was delivered. Other people on this forum have been very gracious with their FJ40 knowledge and the past four years have been a very enjoyable learning experience as I tended to my mechanical issues and upgrades.

When taking the top off for summer, we never disassemble the sides from the top. It's designed to just stay together and lift off. I made a pulley system in the garage to make it easy.

When taking the top off for summer, we never disassemble the sides from the top. It's designed to just stay together and lift off. I made a pulley system in the garage to make it easy.

I found this out the hard way. Going back together fine, but wow a lot of labor. Good part is I took the rear cross piece off (one above rear doors) in the process and those seams had some light rust and the 'gasket' was deteriorated. Cleaned all that up and painted. I had ordered gaskets from the vendor on here (can't remember name, actually found them on ebay), and these new gaskets they claim won't absorb moisture. Anyway, was good to take it all apart and do a freshen up on things.

I won't be taking it apart again. I had to rig up a ratchet strap across the top rear (hooked to some bolts with washers through holes on each side) so I could squeeze the rear tight so I could insert the top bolts down into that rear cross piece. Then tighten the corner braces. All looking good, but yes, labor. I managed to get the lid on by myself last night. So all that is left is install the rear doors, install the license plate bracket, and those two brackets at the top window frame on each side. Then all done.

Did you remember the dome light wire?

Did you remember the dome light wire?
Thanks. Yep, before I ruined it. I had tagged stuff and had all the various bolts in zip lock bags marked at to what they were for. It's all back together now. I think never to come off again while I own it. I have the Bronco I can drive around topless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom