Putting door strikers on fiberglass tub?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can any of you guys who have glass tubs tell me how you got your door strikers onto the body tub. Their is not enough room between the door and the tub to fit the factory originals in. Just wondering what some of you guys did. I am only going to be using them for custom half doors.

No prob, this is how it came though so it's not my handywork. Down the hole you can see the plate that all 4 bolts are run through.
Striker 001.jpg
Striker 002.jpg
Striker 003.jpg

see my problem is, is that it is too tight between the door and tub that I can't even get that factory bracket to fit. I might have to push the door hindges forward more. But thats the only thing I can think of to get mine to work

I agree with Hawk Driver about the love/hate relationship of my FG truck. Still wish I had steel.

That being said, I had no problem mounting my factory strikes just by thru-bolting and using a metal backing plate. Pic of mine would be the same as Hawk's, except I do not have the visible piece of angle that has been riveted in place. My tub is a Malotte that I got about 8 years ago.

Pic of my striker, but a Gozzard tub not a Mallotte. I know it doesn't help, but I guess I didn't want anyone who read this thread to think that all glass tubs are built the same.

Plenty of meat to insert a riv-nut into the glass and then thread into that. Door fits perfect.

Again, not throwing stones. Just want to say that my Gozzard tub fits great and I love it, no hate here.

Matt
MVC-001S.JPG

I'm not sure who made this tub. There are all kinds of little brackets like this in areas all around the tub that things are mounted to, it's kinda wierd. Seems like your Gozzard is more straightforward which is probably nice. Not sure how Gozzard does it, but this one seems to have required alot of assembly as opposed to others. It might be real old too. Does anyone recognize who makes this tub? You think Malotte maybe like yours Capt Jim?

HawkDriver said:
I'm not sure who made this tub. Does anyone recognize who makes this tub? You think Malotte maybe like yours Capt Jim?

Give me a couple of more pics, Hawk. Difficult to tell but the door jamb looks like mine.

Yea, I know exactly what you guys mean. I really wanted to go steel, and if I was going to do fiberglass I really wanted Gozzard. But I picked this tub up brand new off ebay a few years back for only 900 bucks. With me still being in school it was the most economical choice for my build up. Ill work around some of the defects in the mallote tub for that. Im going to do alot of re-enforcing in different areas to help strengthen it, then cover it all in spray on bedliner.

buckroseau- No offense taken, if it wasn't for price I would have gone gozzard all the way. lol, but it like it goes; you get what you pay for. Im just making mine into a summer toy, so it should be good. Ill get some newer pics of mine posted up soon. I am hiding alot of the fiber glass with diamond plate cornerpanels and cuttout fenderflare have really reduced the amount of glass showing even. But I am going to try spacing the hinges forward more to fit the striker in like yours.

buckroseau said:
Pic of my striker, but a Gozzard tub not a Mallotte. I know it doesn't help, but I guess I didn't want anyone who read this thread to think that all glass tubs are built the same.

Plenty of meat to insert a riv-nut into the glass and then thread into that. Door fits perfect.

Again, not throwing stones. Just want to say that my Gozzard tub fits great and I love it, no hate here.

Matt

I like your tub. Looks like a better quality than mine. Does your tub flex if you push and pull on the side walls above the door striker? I can flex mine and I tried it on a steel one and absolutly no flex.

WES1977 said:
I like your tub. Looks like a better quality than mine. Does your tub flex if you push and pull on the side walls above the door striker? I can flex mine and I tried it on a steel one and absolutly no flex.

There is zero flex on my Gozzard tub if you were to push there. Gozzard has put a lot of structure on the inside of the tub as well. In many ways I would say it may be stronger and stiffer than a steel tub.

Matt

Here's some more pics. See what I mean it has some wierd stuff going on with all the little brackets and stuff. This pipe thing runs down next to the seat along the wall, I guess for reinforcement. The big steel peices seem to run from the door edge to the firewall for reinforcement as well. It also uses some wood blocks for door hinge spacers. But the hinges still come out where they're supposed to so I don't think it was an additional added spacer, just how they were supposed to be mounted.

Hate is a strong word and I really don't hate it at all, in fact I love it with all of it's wierdness and it is what makes this cruiser herself. Still prefer original factory steel when I have the choice again in the future. But so far she is the nicest one I've ever owned. I love her. :frown: :crybaby: :frown: :crybaby: :D

I think it's an older tub that was done prob 7 or 8 years ago which is why it seems to be stressed in some spots, it's very strong overall just has some stressed spots.

So whadya think, Malotte?
Tub 004.jpg
Tub 005.jpg
Tub 007.jpg

HawkDriver said:
So whadya think, Malotte?

I believe it is a Mallotte tub, definetely not Gozzard. I see a lot of difference's in most of the pics.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom