putting 55 rear springs in the front (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i know putting 55 series springs in the front of the sua 40 will move the axle forward. how do you extend the steering. also do you ever get axle wrap issues with the front end. i've never heard of someone putting a trac bar on the front.

sorry for the q's. want to do this the right way... gunna soa in a couple of years, but might look at longer springs for now.

True, putting 55 rears in front will move the axle forward ~3.5", but the springs are that much longer overall, so you'll have to address shackle angle if you are not planning on running a shackle reversal. If you are running a shackle reversal that is aftermarket manufactured, chances are, you'll be losing wheelbase in the process (MAF SR).

Personally, I opted to run FJ 55 front springs up front,... they're the same length (actually like 1mm longer, but who is that precise), but the axle positioning pin (spring pin) is centered, unlike stock (offset ~1.75"),... then I moved my frame pin hangers forward 1.25-1.5" (can't remember for sure offhand). Essentially moving my front axle forward 3.5-4", and giving me an excellent shackle angle (3" extended shackles).

IMO 55 rear springs make sense in the rear, but not up front. (Much more doable to drag on departure, than on approach) Unless you plan on running some pretty serious meats (Like say 40's), you may improve your wheelbase, but your approach angle will remain the same.

As for the steering, you're gonna want to go saginaw if you're not already.

Oddly enough, if my thinking is correct, front axle wrap issues should be quite minimal if such issues are addressed in the rear. While most vehicles shoot for a 60/40 weight ratio f/r, or somewhere thereabouts, once you're in motion, especially under power (acceleration) that ratio will, in essence, invert (from weight transfer). The only time you'd have any issues with front axle wrap would be under power in reverse, in which case it could very well be worse than comperable rear axle wrap due to the already heavy front becoming heavier (taking on some of the weight of the rear).
Still, the cases I've heard of anyone running a trac bar up front is very minimal,... just makes the front really complicated,... If you're planning to upscale enough to warrant a front trac bar the only move would be to 4-link, or even 3-link with a panhard bar (essentially 2 trac bars with the panhard to control (or prevent) lateral axle movement.

Hope that all made sense. Kinda went over the top.

WILL

got you... i was just thinking about it, as i liked woody's setup of running 55 rears, front and back while sprung over, and was wondering if i could have done it SUA while i am in the process of saving the $$ for a spring over... but i may just wack 55 rears in the rear, and see how i go from there.

probably extend dshaft a couple of inches, and move the shackle hanger back a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom