1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puttin in an Add-a-Leaf

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by mtb_rider, Feb 21, 2007.

1. mtb_rider

mtb_rider

So, fixin to put my lift on in the next day or two. To anyone out there who as installed an add-a-leaf in an FJ, about how long should it take. I was crawlin around under there today lookin at what it will take, and tryin to plan for the install, time wise. I am an experienced mechanic (a boat mechanic actually), and have air tools and all that, but will be doing the job on the ground on the jack stands. And while I'm at it, anyone have pics of an FJ with a 3-4" lift with 33's on it? Preferrably 12.5's, but any 33 will do. Would like to get an idea of what she'll look like after this weekend. Thanks.

2. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

2 hours per side. (I've done it a few times, I've not gotten any quicker.) A few pointers (hope they're not insulting)
    • Have the jackstands under the frame, not the axle.
    • Let the axle/spring hang free
    • Leave the spring attached to the frame.
    • Use a jack to lift the axle up off the springs while you work on them.
    • Put a c-clamp right next to the spring center pin so you can easily remove the pin.
    • If the spring center pin is trashed, a fine thread cap head bolt (3/8"??) makes a perfect replacement.
    • Position c-clamps on the leafs just one leaf above where you will put your AAL. Position them so that the AAL will fit.
    • Use a long bolt from the bottom to keep the leafs aligned while you c-clamp them back together.
    • When they are clamped together, and aligned properly, remove the long bolt from the bottom, and install the spring pin from the top.
    • Getting the axle to line back up on the head of the spring pin is the most irritating part.

3. philos1

philos1

pretty easy, a few hours per axle.

soak EVERYTHING in PB blaster for a few days.

taking the spring packs apart is a bit of a PITA, but do-able with a chisel and some vice grips, just bend em back when you're done.

got new bushings, u-bolts, spring pins, shackles, etc? you may need em.

have fun!

4. philos1

philos1

Oh, and double up on c-clamps, they sometimes break in a dangerous manner.

5. mtb_rider

mtb_rider

Not insulting, and I'm a boat wrench. Believe me, you have to ask the stupid questions, and a lot of times you DO get a stupid answer. You can get the spring pack brackets un-bent, then re-bent without any problems with the spring attached to the frame?

6. brokenparts

brokenparts

yep, two clamps... this happened while installing my aals.

[​IMG]

Dont forget some PB blaster on the bolts the night before too! :cheers:

7. agent orange

agent orange

Wow, that pic brings back memories for me. I had to flip the center pins on my rear springs, they were in upside down from the factory. I did it on the truck and holy crap those short bottom leaves got some distance flying around the shop after plinking off the ground between my legs!!!

8. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Yep.

Key is to take the load off the spring...as in have the axle supported on it's own. The longest leaf on the spring will carry most of the load between the fixed eye and the shackle. You use the c-clamps to force the other leafs to fit to the longest leaf.