Put New Shocks On from CDAN . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I put OEM shocks on and together with the REVO's 285, the ride is not bad at all..on the highway.

Also, replaced blower motor fan, radio antenna and added wire harness.

My mechanic mention that my 'crankshaft main bearing seal -rear main seal' has to be replaced to fix an annoying oil leak. Has anyone done this and is it a big deal - labor intensive to fix?

Thanks - this forum has been such a big help....anyone I run into who drives ah cruiser..first thing I ask them is ...have you guys been on this site... ;)

Rear mains a pretty high bananna job. Not a "do it in an afternoon" kinda job. Mines leaking from somewheres back there too, but Im gonna try replacing the pan gasket before I think about the rear main.

Not sure on this particular motor, but in many it requires removing either the tranny or the motor.

An oil leak at the back of the motor can be a rear pan arch or rear main,

Rear pan arch requires lifting the engine off of its mounts and removing the upper oil pan
Rear main requires removing the transfer case and transmission.

If it is not a major leak let it ride until you need to get into that area for something else. Most FZJ80’s have at least a minor back there. Mine looses about 1-2 quarts ever 5k miles, much of it from the back of the motor. For me at this rate it is not worth fixing until the engine needs overhaul (hopefully another 150K away)

Check the rear of the valve cover, they are known to leak and contribute to the mess on the bell housing. Valve cover gaskets are much easier to fix.

I think a lot of mechanics miss diagnois the rear pan arch leak as a leak from the real main seal.

Let it ride and while you're doing that, search the site for "pan arch leak" (or some combo of) and you'll find some advice on the topic.

Mine leaks a tiny bit, I think they all do.

I havent had to get this done to my LC but I had it done on my Lexus and it cost me about 250 in labor and about 2.20 in parts lol, so it shouldnt be that expensive, and it can be done in as little as 4 hours...

Tommy

Th oil leaking engine oil or transmission oil?

I have the same problem but I check the oil of rengine and tranmission there is no change? hence, where is the oil coming from?

I have 92 cruiser and ready to get a 1996 one.

GG

In addition, the spinning drive shaft joint tosses grease that thins into oil on the same spot. So many mechanics conclude it's leaking at a higher rate than reality. Depending on how badly they need to make that house payment, they might also conclude the shaft grease is actually a rear main leak...

DougM

For the kind of money involved I'd do an underbody and engine wash and check again for the true source of the leak.

Kalawang

My '96 had a rear main leak when I bought it, but I made the repair part of the purchase agreement with the dealership. I believe it would have cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$500 if I had to pay the 'stealership' to do it, parts and labor. Hope this helps.

tlcruiser said:
My '96 had a rear main leak when I bought it, but I made the repair part of the purchase agreement with the dealership. I believe it would have cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$500 if I had to pay the 'stealership' to do it, parts and labor. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies!

Talking further with my mechanic he gave me an estimate of $600 which includes the gasket. Think it was a total of 6 - 7 hours labor.

The leak is not too bad when I'm parked in my garaged which has a level floor. It is worse when I park in my driveway which is on incline. I guess for now I will learn to live with it and keep parking in the garage until I can come up with the $ for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom