Pushing my luck. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 94 LC has 146k miles and still has the original PHH and head gasket. I bought it 3 years ago and usually put 25k miles a year on a car. I know I'm playing with fire by procrastinating on the PHH replacement but I wanted to know how people feel about the head gasket. Is it best to wait until it goes or do people replace it after a specific millage just because it never happens at a convenient time?

So, wait till the head gasket blows or do a PM and at what millage?

Thanks for your insight.

Replace the PHH as a PM now so you dont blow your head gasket. Many people have over 200K on the original head gasket.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/217325-how-many-80ers-here-oem-head-gasket-8.html

I would replace the PHH every time I replace the head gasket as well as clean the radiator or replace it along with the thermostat and fan clutch mod (heavier oil added) and back flush. Use only Toyota Red or good old green antifreze but dont mix the two since it will build up crud inside the system.

I'd replace the HH when the HG goes. 160K on my LC, with the factory HG so far as I can tell. Since I've only owned the truck a month, I've been keeping my eye on coolant levels and smell, oil condition, and vapors out of the exhaust. But, I'm not really concerned about the HG or HH at this point. If it goes, it goes. I'd be willing to wager quite a bit that HG and HH failure is a statistically insignificant problem in reality.

For reference, my LC is not strictly a DD town car. I'm consistently in the Mt. Hood and high desert area of the state, where major mechanical failure would be a bitch.

I'd replace the HH when the HG goes. 160K on my LC, with the factory HG so far as I can tell. Since I've only owned the truck a month, I've been keeping my eye on coolant levels and smell, oil condition, and vapors out of the exhaust. But, I'm not really concerned about the HG or HH at this point. If it goes, it goes. I'd be willing to wager quite a bit that HG and HH failure is a statistically insignificant problem in reality.

For reference, my LC is not strictly a DD town car. I'm consistently in the Mt. Hood and high desert area of the state, where major mechanical failure would be a *****.

I agree about the HG, I see no point in cracking a perfectly good motor unless it's needed.:meh: I would at least give the PHH a good inspection. Hoses fail more often than major engine components.:hmm: The results can be serious, including a blown HG.:eek:

I agree with most of the others, replace the PHH, it is cheap, and relatively easy to replace. The HG on the other hand, w/152k on mine, I have no plans to replace it until it fails, unless I go forced induction or plan a long distance, many thousands of miles, expedition trip... probably not gonna happen for me.

I just changed the PHH on my brothers 93. His hose blew and i changed it right away. Cheap way to save your HG. I think his HG was not not done yet. It has 150 on the ticker. Don't wait till something bad happens.

Do the phh now. Don't waste time on a prefectly good HG unless it is showing signs of going bad.
The PHH is a PITA as it is.

I agree not to replace the HG until it's goes, but I would replace the PHH. This is the route I have chosen. I do, however, pop the hood often to monitor coolant levels, etc. On the flip side, many choose to do the HG as PM. Several factors play into the decision (cost, daily driver, etc.). Ultimately, you need to decide what is best for you. :cheers:

Last edited:
As the others have written, do the PHH as PM. Suggestion: Also do the heater hoses on the top back at the heater valve. They're easy, and it's also good PM. The 90* hose blew last weekend in between Phoenix and Prescott. Luckily, I knew something was wrong, and had extra water along, but it was a PIA anyway. Now I'm thinking about replacing the rusty hard lines to the rear heater. Ned

Thanks for the advice. This forum has greatly improved the enjoyment of my LC.

The heater hoses are easy.
The PHH on the other hand is the biggest PITA to at and get out and put back.
Do yourself a favor and remove the metal tube the PHH is attached too and run a single heater hose out around the intake and back to the valve.
Much easier to install and replace if needed

Make sure too much pressure is not put on the top radiator tank when you climb under the hood to replace the PHH. I believe that is what caused my radiator to spring a leak, and ultimately blow the HG.

A little love upfront saves a lot of grief down the road.

Do yourself a favor and remove the metal tube the PHH is attached too and run a single heater hose out around the intake and back to the valve.

Really wish I had done this.

Ooops, I meant PHH.

Is there a technical name for the PHH when discussing it with a mechanic?

Ooops, I meant PHH.

Is there a technical name for the PHH when discussing it with a mechanic?

I'm unsure of the technical name for it. As far as time, some boast of replacing it in under an hour. Others will wrestle with it for an entire weekend. Mine took the better part of a Sunday afternoon and I was very glad when it was done. Like mentioned, ditching the metal tube will make things much eaiser if you prefer to go that route.

--Mark

X2, excellent mod. Pretty tough to do with the head in place though.:bang:

I slung mine all the way around the brake booster. It gets it out of the way and I have extra hose if it ruptures at either end.:hmm:

if you're worried about the HG going, what you really need to watch out for now is the effectiveness of the cooling system for the engine.

if you want to be OCD at your mileage, drain and flush the coolant system, check the sludge level in the radiator, replace all coolant system hoses, replace the T-Stat, and do the fan clutch mod. then make sure you're on top of engine oil level. this will all make a huge difference in ensuring your engine is working well and within range. should put off any HG problems for some time.

and it's really only worth doing the HG as PM if you've got the money/down time from the truck/general resources just burning a hole in your pocket.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom