Pushing brake pedal causes my doors to unlock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.joehendricks.com
I have a 2000 Landcruiser. Just recently, every time I push the brakes, the doors lock and then unlock again (while driving and even with the engine off). When I got home, I tried to lock the doors with my key fob and the doors did the same thing... Lock and then unlock.
So I was having this problem, then I turned off my lights and it went away! I turned the lights back on and it started up again.
Unfortunately, that didn't work every time.
My cruise control also went out the other day (while having this problem) and I am wondering if all of this is connected and what the culprit might be?
Would love your thoughts.

All of the doors were shut. I can lock the door from the inside electric switch and everything stays locked.
The problem comes and goes.
It happened while coming down a mountain the other day, so I'm pretty concerned.
I do a lot of off roading and was thinking maybe something got jostled?

I have a 2000 Landcruiser. Just recently, every time I push the brakes, the doors lock and then unlock again (while driving and even with the engine off). When I got home, I tried to lock the doors with my key fob and the doors did the same thing... Lock and then unlock.
So I was having this problem, then I turned off my lights and it went away! I turned the lights back on and it started up again.
Unfortunately, that didn't work every time.
My cruise control also went out the other day (while having this problem) and I am wondering if all of this is connected and what the culprit might be?
Would love your thoughts.

All of the doors were shut. I can lock the door from the inside electric switch and everything stays locked.
The problem comes and goes.
It happened while coming down a mountain the other day, so I'm pretty concerned.
I do a lot of off roading and was thinking maybe something got jostled?

Maybe peak your head up under the driver side dash and see if anything looks out of place. Maybe a mouse chewed on some wires and your contacting them every time you push the brake pedal? Those are some strange symptoms

Yeah I agree with Mike, I would guess there’s an “unlock” function wire getting activated by the headlight function wire. When you brake they’re separating and the standard “lock above 20mph” situation comes in. Once the force from braking subsides the unlock wire is connected again.
I would check wiring in the places that the door lock and the headlight signal wires intersect.

I once stayed in an awful motel where flushing the toilet caused the tv turn on and off

Yeah I agree with Mike, I would guess there’s an “unlock” function wire getting activated by the headlight function wire. When you brake they’re separating and the standard “lock above 20mph” situation comes in. Once the force from braking subsides the unlock wire is connected again.
I would check wiring in the places that the door lock and the headlight signal wires intersect.
Thanks for the help guys. Brake lights are no longer working now, ABS Light is on and I can't shift out of park anymore. I pushed the bypass on the side of the shifter, was able to make it home and my brake lights no longer work. I replaces the STOP fuse by my left foot, still no lights and still can't shift out of park. I just ordered a new brake switch, assuming that is now the issue and I hope it takes care of the whole "lock every time I brake" issue. I'll update when the problem is fixed. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the help guys. Brake lights are no longer working now, ABS Light is on and I can't shift out of park anymore. I pushed the bypass on the side of the shifter, was able to make it home and my brake lights no longer work. I replaces the STOP fuse by my left foot, still no lights and still can't shift out of park. I just ordered a new brake switch, assuming that is now the issue and I hope it takes care of the whole "lock every time I brake" issue. I'll update when the problem is fixed. Thanks again for your help!
Hmm these are some bizarre symptoms, damn electronics. Fingers crossed the brake switch helps. I assume you have got up under the dash with a flashlight and just looked around for any signs of mice or corrosion. All the fuses looked good when you were in there?

Check this fusible link box for brakes lights not turning on and not shifting into gear. And for your door locks and unlocks with brake, check if the owner before you install remote security alarm. Door lock and unlock wires are right next to the foot rest dead pedal.

22205742-2004-lexus-lx470-std.jpg

Check this fusible link box for brakes lights not turning on and not shifting into gear. And for your door locks and unlocks with brake, check if the owner before you install remote security alarm. Door lock and unlock wires are right next to the foot rest dead pedal.
I just checked that "fusible link box" and only have three fuses. It's missing the main 100 fuse. Is that how it's supposed to be? Also, a while back, that fusible link box connections was loose and my landcruiser would get no battery power at all. I would jiggle it and then it would start. I tightened it and it has never lost power since then.

I have now replaced the ABS control module and the brake pedal switch. My landcruiser finally worked well, but then it the STOP fuse keeps blowing on the driver side fuse panel. There seems to be a bigger issue here. Pushing on the brakes still makes my door locks go off and on, until I switch my lights on, then it stops.

I have now replaced the ABS control module and the brake pedal switch. My landcruiser finally worked well, but then it the STOP fuse keeps blowing on the driver side fuse panel. There seems to be a bigger issue here. Pushing on the brakes still makes my door locks go off and on, until I switch my lights on, then it stops.
The fuse box inside the engine bay on the driver side sometimes develops corrosion. Some people replace the whole assembly to fix that.
Try to investigate by disassembling the whole fuse box and look for what is causing the short circuit.

UPDATE: The problem is fixed. There was a short in my tailgate. The wires just came apart over the last 22 years and I connected them all back and now everything is working fine! I noticed, every time I opened the back door, the doors were continuously locking and unlocking. Lifted up the little panel back there and there it was.
Thank you for all the help guys!

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

UPDATE: The problem is fixed. There was a short in my tailgate. The wires just came apart over the last 22 years and I connected them all back and now everything is working fine! I noticed, every time I opened the back door, the doors were continuously locking and unlocking. Lifted up the little panel back there and there it was.
Thank you for all the help guys!

View attachment 3052156

View attachment 3052157
Wow nice find, always feels good to find the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom