Purolator One oil filter insides - dissection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bambusiero

SILVER Star
Threads
FYI, just in case anyone is curious, here is the insides of a Purolator "One" oil filter, after about 10K miles usage, pn that fits FZJ80.
I cannot say whether or not any of this is good or bad, compared to any other filter, I just don't know.
All I can say is, it worked and didn't toast my engine. 2nd one just installed. they cost about $8, more than some, less than others. :meh:

PurolatorOne_Filter_Box.JPG

Filter media, intact:
PurolatorOne_Media_1.JPG

PurolatorOne_Media_2.JPG

O-ring seal:
PurolatorOne_ORing.JPG

Anti-drain-back valve: Seems like silicone rubber?
Still rubbery and not degraded at 10K miles usage.
PurolatorOne_AntiDrainValve_1.JPG

Last edited:
Filter media width, 2.25"
PurolatorOne_MediaWidth.JPG

Filter media length, 49.5", for about 111 square inches filter area.
PurolatorOne_MediaLength.JPG

Filter media thickness 0.033", some kind of synthetic blend.
PurolatorOne_MediaThickness.JPG

I punched a small hole in the can after/during the oil drain, hoping it would let the oil in the filter dribble out - did not work for me, still had to clean up the mess on the block.

PurolatorOne_Can_w_PunchedHole.JPG

Steel can thickness 0.013", as thin as possible while still functioning, like most, I suppose.
PurolatorOne_CanThickness.JPG

The filter wrench, from Autozone, about $7. It fit, a little loose, but worked fine. Ones marked 73mm would not fit over this particular filter.

AutozonePT_14Flute_74mm_FilterWrench.JPG

Nice photos. I've been using the Purolator Boss filter for a few years, they're supposed to be a bit heavier duty, synthetic media with a plastic mesh fused to it, good for 15,000 miles they say (I don't run them that long).

Next assignement, tear a Boss filter apart.

I like those filters and use them on multiple rigs. However, I don't take them to their advertised limit of 10K miles.

Been running a boss for a while now with no complaints at all. Likewise I do not run them 10K. There are a lot of oil filter dissection and review videos on youtube. I don't mind paying a little more for something that is critical and I know is quality.

FYI, opening up an oil filter is a total mess - not as much fun as it sounds like, unless maybe you have a really big tube cutter.

As I understand it, the base Purolator is an all paper element, the One is a hybrid paper/synthetic, and the Boss is pure synthetic. I run the One to get the best of both worlds. Paper filters smaller particles better, but synthetic holds up better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom