Purist detectives, I need your help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Acquired a Jan 1978 FJ40 and am concerned about a few things.

I have my hypothesis about all this but first:

1. Why is the vin tag welded in and in the wrong location?
jdhiGtw.jpg

Q7pQNUW.jpg

2. Would Toyota mangle rivet the firewall data plate?

1qgGVOB.jpg

3. Why are the door hinges welded on and the bottom of the dash lip by the pad mangled?

56APWGB.jpg

Yep, damned ugly.

You are asking us. Why do you not ask the last owner ? Hacks are common on these ..

Acquired a Jan 1978 FJ40 and am concerned about a few things.

I have my hypothesis about all this but first:

1. Why is the vin tag welded in and in the wrong location?
jdhiGtw.jpg

Q7pQNUW.jpg

2. Would Toyota mangle rivet the firewall data plate?

1qgGVOB.jpg

3. Why are the door hinges welded on and the bottom of the dash lip by the pad mangled?

56APWGB.jpg

Ok , here we go ......

Lets start with the DATA I.D Plates :

- your drivers door jamb plate is in the correct location for a 1/78 USA spec ( See Below )

- it was moved or removed because your drivers door Hinges body side have been replaced or repaired for unknown reasons

- your drivers door Check or stop as some call it is brand new , So is the entire vehicals Paint Job form what i can tell

- your fire wall PLate looks to have the original Rivits & was pryed on by the PO in efforts to remove prior to the new paint job , as u can see the over spray or over roller / brush on the plate itself

- there is also over-paint on the fuse box cover and various stuff under dash .

- the pry mark under the dash / metal dash pad makes me nervous about this repair area , I think the door was fully open and another car hit the open door , and pryed it foward by forces we cant understand , this would explain the new door check stop and all the fresh welding paint & body work in that area not to mention the door ID plate being removed

- All said , this repair work is VERY recent , and New due to the lack of rust on the spot welds on the back side of the rivets ID plate and door check area photo

- i would have this truck checked out by a reputable body shop or collision shop , there was a accident involved here and the repairs look Amateur at best

its good u find out now what u have on your hands , and not later

Last edited:
The A pillar has had rust or some other type of damage poorly repaired.
That "tag" that is visible on the lower is an unprimed/painted patch.
The upper door hinge is a train wreck.
It is supposed to be bolted on, just like the lower....albeit in a very difficult location to get a good purchase on wrenches to loosen or tighten them. I would be VERY concerned that those crappy tack welds, which were not there when it was new, are the only thing holding the top hinges to the truck. If they the only thing holding the top of the door, they will separate from the sheet in time.

do you own this rig? hope you didn't pay too much.

there is also US bolts in the rollbar
interesting wiring on the side marker light by the rollbar
correct on the booster it should be the big one,
along with all the other comments above

I did just buy this. And I overpaid. That is my problem and a discussion for an upcoming thread.

However, I’m trying to figure out what is incorrect to this JAN '78 cruiser.

My guesses are a windshield frame from an earlier or costa rican cruiser....so they hacked holes for the defost tubes. The passenger door is from a smurf blue cruiser and the driver door is wack. At first - this seemed to me like it was messed up at some point and they used a costa rican/columbian cruiser for parts. That would explain the booster and windshield frame, at least.

The seats seem 79+ to me, but I have been out of the cruiser loop for about 5 years and am just now getting back into it. I'm sorry if mistaken:

lpPHtWE.jpg

And

jAF0d80.jpg

As far as the door, a pillar....dash dings (they are on both sides). I'm not sure what to do. The PO is playing "I don't know".

Last edited:
Costa Rican implant was my exact thought from the get go. Cut-in the vin plate on the door.....the windshield defost tubes hacked in.....the brake booster......the roll-bar hole location.......and the dash...cut out and welded in from a US cruiser.

What is strange is the VIN all checks out, and matches the tags and frame horn.

What pictures can I provide?

Seems to me like someone took the VIN tags off of a trashed US-spec 40 and grafted them onto a slightly better condition import.

Does the VIN match the PS frame rail? That will be the telltale sign.

I did just buy this. And I overpaid. That is my problem and a discussion for an upcoming thread.

I bought from the community, whom I guess I made the mistake of trusting this guy when told "body has never been off", "it's a solid cruiser with some field repairs but is complete and never been restored".

Couldn't be more far from the truth. I received the FJ40 yesterday and am pissed off. I would never do this to one of you.

Should you want to elaborate on "I bought from the community....", you may want to post up here -> "Bad Sellers - Buyer Beware"

None the less, I've seen MUD members start with less, only to build a rig any one could appreciate.

I'm in agreement with @RAGINGMATT The original door got bashed by a
sideswipe that mangled the hinges as well. Its definitely been overpainted.
I have lots of strange holes in mine as well...but that may just mean its an
old truck....not necessarily south american.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom