Purist Bone Stock FJ-55 - The next chapter!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look in my build thread and buried in there somewhere is all the dates for the different Volvo and Ford fans and the CFM for each along with all the part numbers for the dual temperature sending units for the two speed fans.

Page 66 to be exact. I see post 97 2 speed with the relay looks like the way to go, but what vehicles should I be looking for? I found the relay on ebay, but didn't see any part numbers on the fan, just post 97. Might be there and I missed it. Thanks

Edit: volvo 850 is mentioned, is this correct? I find info for an s70 as a post 97 unit... maybe

Last edited:
Page 66 to be exact. I see post 97 2 speed with the relay looks like the way to go, but what vehicles should I be looking for? I found the relay on ebay, but didn't see any part numbers on the fan, just post 97. Might be there and I missed it. Thanks

Edit: volvo 850 is mentioned, is this correct? I find info for an s70 as a post 97 unit... maybe
I’m not positive on which model, but my local yard has a couple of the S** models and all of them had the same relay setup and the fans looked similar.

but what vehicles should I be looking for?

Late Volvo post 97 High 3349/ Low 2695 CFM
97-up-jpg.1289304

Early Volvo pre 96 S-Blade type blades, High Speed 3099 CFM / Can’t find info for low.

pre-96-jpg.1289305

Temp sender for the two speed relay.
I just ordered the dual temp sender to control the two speed fan, the BMW unit makes it easy to wire the Volvo relay in.

These are the part numbers,
#61318361787--BMW temp switch 180*/195*
#61311378073--BMW temp switch 195*/210*
#61131378412--BMW 90* angle connector
#61130007445--BMW 90* green connector wires 2 required
#61130007446--BMW 90* green/black connector 1 required wire for ground

I think I still have one up stairs, let me check and if I do I'll send it to you.

@J Mack so basically any volvo model after 97. I read several pages of your thread and got over into the Cummins links. Definitely going to look for one.

@RUSH55 I'll pull the specs and post them.

@J Mack so basically any volvo model after 97. I read several pages of your thread and got over into the Cummins links. Definitely going to look for one.
I have one of each I'll send you if you want them.
The early fan had the plug wires cut.

20221019_113456.jpg

@J Mack I'll shoot you a PM. I appreciate it sir.

@RUSH55 The 14" SPAL brushless unit is rated at a little over 3900 CFM with no load, but the tech I was working with gave me a crash course and at around 100 pascals (which he said was about average for a cooling system) the rated CFM was around 3450. So In the ball park of the volvo and Taurus units. The thing about the whole "smart system" was that it had a variable drive built in, so it would start at a lower set point, 195 in my case, and would vary the speed based on temperature eventually reaching full speed when the temp hit the high end of the range, 210 in my case. The TPI motor comes factory with a 195* thermostat and apparently in a vette the fans didn't kick on until around 210 +/- and the aux cooling system didn't kick until close to 240. I got used to seeing the temp gauge set at around 210 and was ok, but when it got up around 235, I started getting uncomfortable.

In hindsight, I didn't have to go that way, but I took it on some good advice that the SPAL setups were the bees knees and I was tired of fighting the heat, so I swung for the fences. End of the day, it's just a fan and a brushed motor can at least be made to run, even the sensor doesn't think it needs to. Live and learn and move along.

Okay, that’s some info to digest.

What is the “auxiliary cooling system”? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that it wasn’t included in the conversion.(?) But if this auxiliary cooling system doesn’t kick on until the 240° mark, does that mean that engine you’re running is designed to handle temps like you were experiencing? Like you, I wouldn’t be comfortable with it running that hot, but that is interesting.

I believe your on the right track. As far as I have been able to put together (since I don't have the original build information) the engine is from a 91 or 92 corvette with the TPI 350. Those cars came with complete electric cooling systems. I believe it was a single radiator with a dual fan setup. Main fan came on when temps hit the 210 mark and the second fan was called in when the temps hit 235-240. Still a little hazy on the specifics, but that's the general idea.

The truck was put together with a large dual pass aluminum radiator that looks to be a custom setup and had a single electric fan on it. I have looked, but can't find any information on the brushed setup to get flow numbers.

It ran good for the most part, but when I took it out the first time, I watched the temp keep climbing and when it got north of the 235 tick on the gauge I was not interested in pushing it, so we would sit down and let it cool off.

You are correct that in my reading, it seems like the engine from the factory was set up to handle temps north of 235, but I am not really wanting to find out what the limit is on the system. I have gotten used to running around the 210 mark and not worrying too much, even though it goes against everything I thought I knew.

It doesn't have any wheel wheels, so one would think that the heat can exit pretty easily as the air is pulled thru, but I have also pondered adding some small aux pusher fans to the factory side vents to help push the hot air out of the engine bay. That or adding some louvers to the hood. I'll keep chasing it til I get it whooped.

L98, yes, aluminum block and heads, don't know but don't think so. Motor is all done up in black engine paint and I never really paid that much attention, just assumed it was an iron block/ iron head configuration. I'll do some research on that. I will see if I can find the block ID numbers and run those to see what I have.

@55guy do you know how a fellow could get a hold of FC? I want to ask him what motor is in this pig. These L98 had a load of variations and since it is MAP I figured it was 1991ish, but iron heads went away in 86 and I "think" I'm iron head with center bolt valve covers, which doesn't really fit that Era. It seems like maybe a 85 or 86. Lots of head scratching. If I could email or call him and just pick his brain, I think I might get a little closer to figuring out this puzzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom