Purchasing my first LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys first thread here.

I’ve been in the market for my first land cruiser. Not much experience or know of land cruisers, just wanted to get your thoughts on one I found that seems to be at a decent price.

It’s right hand drive which makes it less appealing to me. At that price I think you could find a good US spec 80. It looks clean. I would want as much detail on the importer and history of it as you can get. Good luck with your search.

It’s right hand drive which makes it less appealing to me. At that price I think you could find a good US spec 80. It looks clean. I would want as much detail on the importer and history of it as you can get. Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the input. Yea I was skeptical about it being RH drive, but after doing some research doesn’t seem people mind driving them. Not a big deal to me since it will not be a daily driver but a vehicle that would be used every now in then for road trips with the family.

FWIW the sub tank is missing.
The underside condition doesn't seem to match the top side condition.
Especially for the mileage. Significant leakage below the ps system (or...where it would be on a LHD)
Proceed with caution and perform due diligence if buying remotely.

Looks like an Aussie import. They tend to get used pretty hard over there. Also, there's not much in the way of a description. Like voodu said, 20k should get you into a really solid USDM Cruiser without the hassle of RHD. I do like the cloth seats and more utilitarian look of the Australian LCs though.

FWIW the sub tank is missing.
The underside condition doesn't seem to match the top side condition.
Especially for the mileage. Significant leakage below the ps system (or...where it would be on a LHD)
Proceed with caution and perform due diligence if buying remotely.
The undercarriage is one of the main reasons I haven’t pulled the trigger already. Hard to tell if it’s rust, or just that rust color from the reddish sand/dirt they have in Australia. (Thinks that’s just me trying to convince myself it’s a good buy lol) thanks for the input.

You're in CA, perfect location to find an 80 and seems to always be several options to choose from. I have a "wrong side drive" 80, don't mind it, just don't prefer it and i'm again looking for one. Envious that I see so many in your area come up for sale. Like others have said, I'd be skeptical of the overseas trucks with "low" mileage. Good luck!

The undercarriage is one of the main reasons I haven’t pulled the trigger already. Hard to tell if it’s rust, or just that rust color from the reddish sand/dirt they have in Australia. (Thinks that’s just me trying to convince myself it’s a good buy lol) thanks for the input.
DO you do all your own work? If so, then yes, consider it.

If no, then run away.

Thanks for every ones input. I was really on the fence. You guys called out pretty much all the same concerns I had. I guess I was just trying rationalize everything because I want one so bad lol. As I look for a one here in the states what are things I should consider? Specifically for 80’s what’s to many miles for a LC 80 series? I have seen a few around 20k-27k with around 200-250k miles in really great shape are those worth it? or are miles to high? Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for every ones input. I was really on the fence. You guys called out pretty much all the same concerns I had. I guess I was just trying rationalize everything because I want one so bad lol. As I look for a one here in the states what are things I should consider? Specifically for 80’s what’s to many miles for a LC 80 series? I have seen a few around 20k-27k with around 200-250k miles in really great shape are those worth it? or are miles to high? Thanks for all your help.
Just my .02...
1) condition trumps mileage
2) drive train and drive line condition trumps body or interior condition
3) given the crazy market, buying in person is the only way I'd be willing to part with the kind of money folk are asking.

That’s a hard pass for me dawg…

I echo what the others have said about passing on this vehicle and what landlocked dropped is hard facts that I also abide by.

You’re here so I assume you know something about the cost of doing business with this platform. Definitely hold out for the right rig, inspect it methodically but also be ready to take a leap of faith and drop cash for a rig that rings the right bells for you. I’m sure you’re aware, when a solid rig comes available, they’re snatched up, sometimes in the matter of minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom