Purchasing an FZJ80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My buddy GLTHFJ60 convinced me to trash my Jeep ZJ and purchase a Toyota FZJ80. After lifting my ZJ and wheeling it for 3 years in Connecticut, stuff started breaking past the time and knowledge I have to fix it. I have heard how durable and solid land cruisers are so I'm going to try em out.

The first step was to join this forum and learn about cruisers as much as possible. The next step is to buy a cruiser. I have a lot to learn and I hope to have your support.

I will be purchasing this one:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/217833-1994-fzj80-118-500-miles-$4-000-a.html

The bumper is busted along with the fender and part of the valance (?). The bumper will probably be replaced with an ARB. Any other recommendations for bumpers? I've heard that it might be a wise choice to put a small lift on the cruiser before putting a heavy piece of steel on the front of the vehicle. Any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
No comment about your bumper questions, but the truck looks like a great deal. My '95 has the cloth interior, too, and I much prefer it over leather. Looks like he has done all of the immediatly critical stuff. Now, maybe an Aussie locker....? Welcome, good luck, and have fun:cheers:Ned

Buy it!

That's a very good deal, especially with those maintenance items being done.

Slee offroad has a great newbie read for the new 80 series owner:

80 Series Land Cruiser - Front Bumper

Good luck with the cruiser, I think you'll really love it.

I used to drive a Cherokee that was heavily modded, it would go anywhere, but every single time I took it out, something broke! so I also switched to landcruisers, and now I can sit and watch while my Jeep buddies fix their rigs on the trail. I don't do crazy extreme stuff with my truck, but I do wheel it, and in the last 10 years, I have yet to experience any kind of failure on the trail. Not so the Jeep, that think left me stuck a few times due to mechanical failures.

Cruisers are so much better, believe me.

AND, some folks think that the 1994 is the best year of the 80 series. It has the BIG A442F transmission (in 1995 they went to the smaller A343 trans [in the US, other parts of the globe still got the 442] that's used in the 4-runner), and it has 134a a/c refrigerant so it's cheaper/easier to recharge than the older R12 models.

Dana

I paid more than twice that price two years ago for exactly the same truck, with 1 k more on the odo, in CA. Check the undercarriage rust but otherwise that looks like a great deal.
:cheers: and :flipoff2:

I dropped the deposit off for Todd yesterday. It's such a clean truck!!

I figured I'd add an update:

I have placed a deposit on the 80 and will be picking it up with the rest of the cash within the week. Can't wait to start working on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom