Purchasing an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to purchase an 80 series on the cheap, drive it around town till it blows up and rebuild repair as neccessary.

I had a business go belly up and my credit sux, but have turned things around. I am now a firefighter. Daily transportation is not critical as I walk to work (3 miles) I had to sell all my vehicles when I closed my brewpub.

I have been looking at high mileage FJ80s, paticularly a 91 with 180,000 miles for $3500.00. The exterior and interior are really clean with no rust or dents.

I am mechanically inclined (built up a Jeep, restored 77 Bronco) can fabricate and do most anything on vehicle.

Is the 91 as bad as people make it out to be? Brakes, under powered???

The 95s and up get out of my price range.

Are these things to complicated to work on (computers and stuff?)

Howard

The 92-92 3FE powered 80's are really fine vehicles. What makes them so undesireable is the 93-97 80 series vehicles that follow them..:rolleyes: The later vehicles are so much improved over the early ones that the early ones might as well not exist. That being said, the 91-92 vehicles are perfectly suitable and are prime candidates for V8 conversions.

D-

chtucker said:
Is the 91 as bad as people make it out to be? Brakes, under powered???

The 95s and up get out of my price range.
The FZJ80 came in 93, so don't forget to look at the 93 and 94 models. From when I test drove both FJ and FZJ models several years ago, there was a huge difference, and it was worth it to me to get the FZJ80.

I looked at a '91 and thought it was amazingly slow and looked right past it to my '93.

However, it is still a solid truck and would be fine as long as you are not in a hurry to get somewhere.

If you aren't concerned about power and you merely want a cheap 80, go for a 91-92 good truck for the money. I considered a 91 which is a pretty decent 80, but driving my 94 really sold me. If you get lucky you can probably find a decent 93-94 w/high mileage for under $6k- thats if your lucky. My friend just found a rolled 96 for $2600 everything seems to work accept for the roof and body damage, he is investing $3-5k to bring it up to par. So maybe you can find one of those. Keep looking you might get lucky.

If anyone wants to get a good V8 I have a Chevy G20 Van conversion I've had since new ('93) with a tranny problems (won't change up into top gear) that I was considering breaking cos I hav'nt taxed it in years and scared of big penaltys. The engine has 130,000 and is in great shape, never been worked on and oil changed every 3,000 miles since new. New tires. I'm keeping bed and bucket chairs. Take whole thing for $900. Central southern California.

80s are great.. and I am all for holding out for a deal.. but for the price range you're looking at you could get a decent FJ60/62.. just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom