Purchasing advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, I'm looking to buy my first LC and I'd like a sanity check.

Found a 100 series at a local stealership for what seems like a great deal. I go take a look at it and find a truck that looks like it housed a rowdy family of 12 for its whole 16 year life.

It's a 99 with 155k for $9500. Seems like a great dealer price compared with KBB, but for a private party at "Fair" its not so impressive. KBB dealer price assumes great condition. Edmunds gives a much lower value due to condition.

In short, the truck isn't in great shape: 3 of the 5 power door locks are broken, hood release is broken. Paint on the roof is in bad shape, along with trim around windows etc. Dash/console is pretty beat up and some covers etc missing. Has a few random scratches and dents in the body. Stains in the carpet. Leather is pretty bad (for 150k) and needs some major cleaning all around.

I wasn't able to drive it just yet, so no idea if the locker works or if it drives ok. Two owners and no maintenance records means that I'll be doing the timing belt asap unless I find a sticker under the hood.

Now, 5 minutes of research here says I can fix door locks for cheap. Hood release is probably no big deal either. From the issues that I can see, it still seems pretty ideal to me as a truck I can mod, beat on and camp in with no regrets. But I worry that if I see this many issues with 10 minutes of looking, what am I going to find in the next 50k of ownership?

Are these trucks solid enough to take the "good enough" deal on the non-looker and run, or shy away for a garage queen (and much more $$).

Thanks all
Bryan

Going by the condition you describe it has been abused. Most likely it has not had regular service either. Sounds overpriced with body damage too.

I would be inclined to look for one with service records and no damage unless you can lowball the price.

Those items are symptoms of how the truck was maintained......

Everyone's market is different. Here in New England, that price seems high for the condition you describe. But in Vegas, that might be on the mark. Regardless, you will likely have a better ownership experience buying a rig from a private party that was better maintained and cared for over the life of the vehicle. As you said, these are 16 - 17 years old now so it's getting harder and harder to find nice ones. Here's one that looks cared for from a private sale - maybe worth checking out:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4652795004.html

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see what the dealer says about dropping the price, but I doubt they'll go low enough to be worth the gamble.

That linked one is nice, but I'd much rather have a lighter color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom