Purchased JDM Engine, found water in the intake and oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
I recently purchased a JDM 5VZ-FE engine.

When I tore it down I found water inside of the lower intake. When I drained the oil pan some clear water drained out, followed by some oil.

The company I purchased it from is telling me to do a leak down test on it, and pour some oil in the cylinders.

I'm just looking for some advice here. Does anyone thing that this engine is usable? How big of a deal is the water in the motor? I'm just wondering how hard I need to fight these guys.

Per their terms, return shipping is on my dime. My gut just tells me to bite the bullet and return the thing but I just want some confirmation or advice.

Thanks,

Maybe it got caught out in a rainstorm, or it could be that they had someone pressure washing without every orifice carefully covered.

Do you have a way to run it before installing it - some local engine shop that could hook it up, run it, and check it out?

I'm not sure that finding clear water in an uninstalled engine is enough to condemn it.

Thanks Honk.
Called a friend of mine who is a professional mechanic. He said as log as its not rusted on the inside it should be fine. Gonna try to pull the oil pan tonight.

Looks like I jumped the gun a little bit. First I rotated the engine on the stand to dump out the water in the intake, then removed the lower intake. I was worried because I could see rust on the valve stems. Well I could reach in and with it away with my finger and they look just fine.

Next I removed the oil pan and it looks nice and clean inside. So I am going to run it. I'll probably do an oil change after 100 or so miles just for peace of mind.

I wouldn't go that long. Get some store brand oil and maybe 10-20 miles and change it to the better stuff. Use a new pan and run a magnet around in it, too. Let it sit in the pan over night then pour it out to see if any non magnetic bits may be left.

I finally got the motor to fire up last night! I fought with this thing for many many hours (30-35). Once I got it started it fired right up and ran really, really nice. Still have to button things up but I should be driving it by the end of the week.

Looking for some ideas here.

It runs and idles great. However anything above like 1/2 throttle it starts to stumble and sputter. I've also got the P0171 code. I've been looking for vaccuum leaks to no avail. I don't think it's the MAF sensor either.

Air, fuel, fire. If it's not MAF related check for fueling-plugged filter or injector and check plugs/plug wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom