Purchase advice? 1970 FJ43 w/ 2F motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I've found an FJ43 owned/restored by a mechanic shop in Colombia (I am in Colombia at the moment).

The vehicle is a 1970 but has been retrofitted with a 2F motor.

It starts without issue and as far as I can tell the body is in good shape. The only two issues I see, from a resale or value perspective, is that 1) the motor is not original to the vehicle and 2) the 'tub' has had the middle replaced with an anti-skid type metal as you can see in the photos. Sale price is roughly $10,000USD. I would bring the vehicle back to North America in a few years after enjoying it and likely sell it. Profit isn't as much a motivation as covering my initial costs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

IMG_8228.jpeg

Leaf sprung rear end with coil over load springs, interesting 🤔
I think the 2F is an upgrade
Weird, I don’t see a gas pedal?
I bought a Colombian FJ43 and am no expert but that unit might have too many South American modifications for the US market?

devo
Thanks for the insight. And yes it has a gas pedal LOL

Interesting truck, had to do a double take on the coils in the rear as 40 series trucks are 100% leaf springs only.

The place where the turn signal mounts to the column is a bit off. Taxi modification? The VIN plate on the firewall is not factory.
If this is typical of what $10k US buys you there I would keep looking for one with a factory stamped style bed.
For both authenticity and resale.
I know the replacement aftermarket bed floors are available in Colombia, assuming they went with the diamond plate bed for cost savings?
The 2f is a bonus as stated.

Last edited:
Interesting truck, had to do a double take on the coils in the rear as 40 series trucks are 100% leaf springs only.

The place where the turn signal mounts to the column is a bit off. Taxi modification?
If this is typical of what $10k US buys you there I would keep looking for one with a factory stamped style bed.
For authenticity and resale.
I know they are available in Columbia, assuming they went with the diamond plate bed for cost savings?
I'm told it was a taxi/bus of sorts at one point (only two owners) and the taxi/bus owner changed the bed as he felt it was better for transporting people around. Who know what the true reason is of course.

Nice truck if the rest of it is solid. 2F is an upgrade and will not hurt resale, in fact will probably help. Looks like a bit of bondo, though.

Have it inspected! S. American trucks are notorious (when they end up in the States) for less-than-ideal restorations!

Good luck!

If someone follows the valve clearance specs on that tune up sticker (the fractional inch values), the engine isn't going to like them.

I'm assuming that's a crappy aftermarket sticker (idle speed for a 2F with an auto???)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom