Punch list for Turf-n-Surf 2016 & ARB drawer mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
I'll be leaving on the 10th to stake out my spot for Turf-n-Surf this year. I'll be in close proximity to my local 4WD club (SCOTA). But like everyone else I have a bunch of stuff I need to do before I can head out. Some of this is stuff I've been neglecting and other things are just stuff I need to get done and this is a good excuse to just spend the time to do it. In no certain order here is what I need to get done:

Replace muffler hanger bushings- I keep breaking these bushings everytime I go off-roading. I think I need to give some thought into replacing my exhaust. I already have new Y-pipe and cats, I just need from the CAT-back.
Replace knock sensors- I keep gettong PO325 and its affecting my gas mileage and throttle response. I already have the sensors new, I just need to replace them. While I'm there I need to make sure wiring is ok
 for both of these. I recently did the PHH and I thought I was careful.
POSTPONED Complete hub to hub rebuild- I'm starting to get clicking on the DS and I know the birf needs to be replaced. I also know I need to replace my rotors and since my truck has 356k on it, well, maybe its time I finally replaced all the wheel bearings :flipoff2: I am going to go outside of my comfort zone and I am going to go with Terrain Tamer on everything. That means birfs, rotors, pads, gaskets, seals, etc. I will be of course staying with Koyo bearings. I am going to upgrade where ever I can/should while I am there.
POSTPONED Install axle/diff armor from Georg- I'm ordering up the Valley Hybrid 80 Series axle upgrades that I will need to have welded on. Since I will have the axle housing bare, its the perfect time to start welding on it.
Adjust accelerator cable- I seem to be getting some odd throttle response and I have a feeling the cable adjusting nuts may have loosened. I will check the TPS at the same time.
Flush the transmission and install TransGo kit- I've been putting this one off for long enough. I've been bad and haven't flushed my trans fluid for at least 60k and I'm better than that. Ugh. The TransGo kit doesn't seem all that difficult, just a little time consuming.
Send in scan gauge- My ScanGauge still has the original firmware so I am sending it in for the upgrade. I've also been having an issue where the unit would power itself on all day and night, every four mins, and would kill the battery after about 3/4 days. Annoying as hell. Dropping it in the mail today.
Install CB FINALLY!- I prepped this stupid Uniden 510 about 8 years ago and I have YET to install the stupid thing. Yeah I know I need to forgo it for a HAM unit but not for this trip.
Find three pin plug for fridge- My Engel unit is an older model with a 3-prong plug. These aren't available anymore. Of course I didn't know it t the time when I cut up my cable for a customer's fridge cable order. Argh. Still trying to hunt one down.
Make fridge cable- You know how the plumber's house always leaks? Well, I have yet to make any of my production version accessories for my own truck. Its annoying but I need to actually make something for me. This will go to my fuse panel under the passenger seat.
Set Toe- My last outing it seemed as though my toe may have been knocked out. The reason I know is because there is now like no resistance to the steering wheel. Like its perfectly straight. But thats bad because it darts easily from the imperfections in the road. Also, my steering wheel is about 6º off so I need to adjust that to center as well.
Measure rear drawer strip- I need to make a little wooden strip that fills the gap behind the ARB drawers between the 2nd row seats. With that I will make some SB50 plugs ;)
Install backup camera- This is something I have just been neglecting and I need to just do it. There have been a few instances in parking garages that have put my heart in my throat. Add to that my vision has been getting worse. I need to just do this.
Order new lug nuts- I should have done this a long time ago. Its time to just change them out. 

Install front LED light- I've help install about a dozen lights for people but I have yet to install my own. Ugh. I need to just get to massaging some metal and mount this bad boy on my ARB.
Wire LED light- I'm likely going to just wire it with my Metri-Pack weatherproof connectors which will be fine but I wanted something slick for mounting the source plug into the bumper. Hmm....
Bolt down drawer- Yeah, I never bolted them down. The reason was I didn't like the position that ARB says they should go. I wanted them adjusted forward a bit more so that the handle JUST barely missed the tailgate lid. I just have to drill out a few new holes. I just have to do it.
Install drawer lights- Yes, drawer lights. Working in the dark and trying to find things while your hands are all greasy just makes everything in the drawer greasy. I'm not doing that. I need to wire in my drawer lights that I just ordered.
Install l-track- I've decided to install L-track for securing anything in my cargo area. Mine will be on the top drawer slides.
Order correct bins
- Because I settled on ARB drawers I'm stuck with their drawer interior dimensions. This means all of my watertight plastic bins I use for EVERYTHING do not fit in an efficient way. Need to order up the next size down and then figure out how to configure everything.
Purchase new spare tire- I've been borrowing @jtwopark's spare for a month now and I need to just get my spare replaced. Need to order and get it swapped out. I will need need tires within the next 30/40k miles anyway and I'm going to stay with the Toyo Open Country A/T IIs, best tire I've EVER had.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'll post up as I get crap worked out. I also need to get my 60 smogged so that I have a truck I can drive while all of this is going on :p

Oh and this is on top of all of the Wits' End products I need to tend to but since I'm waiting on other companies for EVERYTHING at this point, might as well get stuff done!

Last edited:
Wow, I thought I had a long list before SnT but you got me beat by a mile !!!! At least nothing looks like a life/death situation ?

I know I'm never gonna get to all my projects, that's why I don't make a list; will be embarrassing if nothing is ever checked off... Spend waaaay more time thinking about doing it than actually doing it; that's my problem !

See you on the beach.....

"Complete hub to hub rebuild- I'm starting to get clicking on the DS and I know the birf needs to be replaced. I also know I need to replace my rotors and since my truck has 356k on it, well, maybe its time I finally replaced all the wheel bearings :flipoff2: I am going to go outside of my comfort zone and I am going to go with Terrain Tamer on everything. That means birfs, rotors, pads, gaskets, seals, etc. I will be of course staying with Koyo bearings. I am going to upgrade where ever I can/should while I am there."

Welcome to the dark side..... :)

Wow, I thought I had a long list before SnT but you got me beat by a mile !!!! At least nothing looks like a life/death situation ?

I know I'm never gonna get to all my projects, that's why I don't make a list; will be embarrassing if nothing is ever checked off... Spend waaaay more time thinking about doing it than actually doing it; that's my problem !

See you on the beach.....

Yeah I definitely overthink everything. Most of the time when I'm doing something I'm thinking if it's worth making it a production worthy product. I won't know that til I spend the time, money and aggravation to figure it out. It's my default on everything now. It's why it takes me freaking forever to get stuff done.

"Complete hub to hub rebuild- I'm starting to get clicking on the DS and I know the birf needs to be replaced. I also know I need to replace my rotors and since my truck has 356k on it, well, maybe its time I finally replaced all the wheel bearings :flipoff2: I am going to go outside of my comfort zone and I am going to go with Terrain Tamer on everything. That means birfs, rotors, pads, gaskets, seals, etc. I will be of course staying with Koyo bearings. I am going to upgrade where ever I can/should while I am there."

Welcome to the dark side..... :)

Email incoming. I've been hearing enough good stuff about TT that I'm gonna try it all out.

Email incoming. I've been hearing enough good stuff about TT that I'm gonna try it all out.
Georg is a bad influence.....his latest addition:

upload_2016-11-2_12-18-43.png

Just got my L-track in the mail just now. QBall gave me some Chinese s*** a few months ago to replace the nice US made rail I gave him. Boo.

The US made is on the left and Chinese on the right.
• The powder coat difference is night and day.
• The spacing for the foot of the attachment points (the channel) is narrower on the Chinese. This makes it so the attachments don't slide anywhere as easily as the US made.
• The US made is also rounded on the sides where the Chinese uses an angle and small radius to cut the edge.
• The powder coat on the Chinese is built up too much to get the 1/4" bolt to go through without removing some of the coating.
• The buildup is also uneven on the chamfering so the flat head screw doesn't sit perfectly flush with the chamfer.
• Also, if you hunt down the L-track plastic end caps, they have to be trimmed to fit the Chinese.
• The Chinese edge holes are .75" to edge. All other holes vary in spacing from 4.9" to 5.9".
• The US made is exactly .5" from edge to center of hole and every interior Mounting hole is exactly 5" center to center.
• The channel holes on the Chinese are .75" diameter mostly. The powder coating varies this by .01". The problem is most of the attachment points/rings are .75" so they don't all go in smoothly. The US made has openings of .78" which allows for easy in and out of the attachment points.
• The US made versions are $25/ea. @ 4ft. The Chinese are $9/ea. @ 4ft. Worth the cost savings? Hell no!

IMG_9590.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

Last edited:
"The US made versions are $25/ea. @ 4ft. The Chinese are $9/ea. @ 4ft. Worth the cost savings? Hell no!"

You get what you pay for in most cases.....except politicians :)

"An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, will stay bought."
- Simon Cameron, Lincoln's first Secretary of War, removed from office in the midst of a corruption scandal.

My list is similar:

Who am I kidding?

:lol:

About to place my axle/brake part order and I think I'm going to go with the ARP studs for the hub flange. I thought about going the 105 10mm route but I don't have a shop near me that I would trust with something like this. I need a Bridgeport at home!!!

With a punch list like that, you must be talking TnS 2017.

Where does one get the USA L-track?

With a punch list like that, you must be talking TnS 2017.

No way in hell I'll finish. Its just the list I give for myself to do. It gives me a target and an opportunity/reason to do the stuff I've been lazy about. Plus I could have one of my metal shops call and say, "your s*** it ready, come and get it". Then its back into Wits' End mode and I'll get nothing done :(

Where does one get the USA L-track?
Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Cargo Straps - U.S. Cargo Control
Specifically: Motorcycle Tie Downs - Trailer Tie Downs for Motorcycles

What is the Track getting mounted to?

What is the Track getting mounted to?

My ARB drawers. Specifically the slider top. ARB used engineered wood instead of .75" birch plywood so I'm not exactly thrilled with the strength of it. Eventually I'll take the slides completely apart and replace with birch but I have no time for that now.

IMG_9598.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom