Pumped about my Slee Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I built a similar style bumper years ago for my last 80 that is now on my current 80. It doesn't quite have all the features you get with the SLEE bumper, nor am I as skilled a fabricator as those who build the Slee bumper. Did it cost less? Yep. However, I know the time I put into it and it was a lot. I can appreciate the amount of design and engineering that has gone into the Slee bumper and it's even had small tweaks over the years to improve it. For a bolt-on option I agree that it is one of (if not THE) best bumper for the 80. It's strong, nice looking, well designed and effective. Yes it's expensive but, I agree that with most things you get what you pay for. There are cheaper bumpers out there but they also have to compromise on quality and features. The Slee is a great bumper.

As point of reference, here's mine. It's effective but clearly not on the same level.

I always thought bumpers were overpriced. Then I bought a DIY 4x4Labs kit and did the assembly, welding, fitting, grinding and painting myself. That's when I stopped complaining about the prices of bumpers. When you add up material costs and hours of labor, it becomes clear why they cost what they do.

Same here. Been "restoring"/modding my 1st gen Slee bumper and I'm very appreciative of how much work goes into making one.

$2,725 + Shipping -- Yeah I can see my wife's head explode if/when I buy that....LOL!

Just like this --

spindoctoring.jpg

I can hear it already. "That costs more than we paid for the Land Cruiser!!!!"

Problem #1: Telling the wife how much anything LC related costs.

Problem #2: See problem #1

They make a beautiful bumper. For sure.

Have a 4x4 labs that I bought and welded up myself. If I could do it over again, I would save my $$$$'s and slip by Golden on my next trip out and buy that Slee. Don't get me wrong, that labs bumper is sweet. The fit and finish of the Slee is where you realize where your money went.

I have the slee and I love it. Had the Sean bumper before, but had always wanted a Slee. Need to add the integrated hitch to mine.

IMG_5647.JPG

$2700+ additional something for a tow hitch?....Must be nice to be rich! It looks to be a well built bumper and built here in the U.S.A!!....I guess it is worth it then...but having to buy more options on top of a price that is already pretty steep....I hope slee knows what he is doing!

:rolleyes: Says the King of shock bling

Save money, save weight, learn how to weld and have a bumper that doesn't stick out in the back like and Oakland booty: get a DIY bumper kit from 4x4Labs. The hitch receiver comes at no extra charge.

Save money, save weight, learn how to weld and have a bumper that doesn't stick out in the back like and Oakland booty: get a DIY bumper kit from 4x4Labs. The hitch receiver comes at no extra charge.

I don't get the infatuation with the labs bumper... I think it's :meh:

No infatuation. It's about a solid bumper that protects my arse end without dragging off and bashing into way more boulders than necessary. It's like a fit trim athlete compared to an over weight pig.
Not least of all, Luke is right here in my neck of the woods and a small time player compared to you know who.

Nothing wrong with 4x4 Labs. The Slee is no worse than stk setup which I know is not ideal, but even with the 4x4 Labs, the inherent rear overhang of the 80 is still huge compared to other offerings. As long as what you have can take the carnage and protect the body a bit, all is good.

The Labs bumper sits much tighter and closer to the body than any other bumper while still being able to keep dual swingouts. IMO the lines on it are much nicer too. Other rear bumpers stick out a lot and hang too low. But nothing is as bad as the ARB bumper. Whoever drew up that design sure did hate his life that day.

Rearmost corner of my 4x4Labs bumper was 29" from the ground. My Sean Huston Fab bumper was 26".

16452607696_5a2022815c_h.jpg

Labs stuck out 7 3/8" when measured from the body crossmember. Huston was 8 5/8"

16452605966_6e807a02ca_h.jpg

Yep I have the labs bumper and really like it. But no way would I say it is better than the Slee. I have not played with the Slee so I can't really say the Slee is better than the labs bumper. But from what I see the Slee is super nice! I would imagine the Slee is a little more refined and a little "nicer". I like the shape of the labs a little better. They are both a little different. Nice to have options in this world. I am just happy that we have multiple bumpers of this level to chose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom