Puma Compressor Mounted! Using Phil's Mount. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DominicanFZJ80

Getting there...
Threads
First off this can be marked as my first project since buying the LC80 in November of last year. Ok ok I did the CDL switch first but that's crumbs compared to this. I planned on taking the first year and ironing out the little issue as they arise, as all used vehicles are going to have their quirks.

I like to be self sufficient while wheeling and when Phil started to produce his Puma compressor brackets it was the answer to my onboard air question! I ordered one up and it arrived on Tuesday (08.26.2014).

Phil's Puma Mount Thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pu...-all-80-series-and-lx450.815165/#post-9322093

IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG

Now of course the first thing I wanted to do is start sanding and painting. But I restrained myself and test fit it first!

IMG_4407.JPG

Alright looks good.

And upon messin around back there I found 4 tie down hooks on the floor pan. NEAT! I know I know the little things.

IMG_4410.JPG

Bedlined and ready for the Puma Compressor
IMG_4411.JPG

Last edited:
Wiring Completed on the second day. Runs from the rear quarter under the carpeting and through and existing grommet in the firewall. I have enough cable to reach the second battery on the passenger side when it is installed (future project); for now its looped in the space in front of the battery.

Note: I ended up going to West Marine for their marine grade power and ground wire. All I can say is OUCH to my wallet, but I wanted to be complete for my trip to Corolla, NC this weekend, and could wait for Phil's cooper cable he is offering. Lesson Learned: Plan ahead!
IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

Terminated the rear quarter cables with an Anderson Plug.

IMG_4441.JPG

Stage one, of re working the Puma Compressor to my specifications:

IMG_4435.JPG

Stage 2:

IMG_4444.JPG

Stage 3: Anderson Plug at power/ground connections and plug mounted to Puma Tank:

IMG_4445.JPG

Tank Mounted to Phil's LC80 Rear Quarter Panel Mounting Platform (Notice the clever use of a Pull Up bar to upright the entire assembly...):

IMG_4454.JPG

Very nice, I managed to mount my driver's but I still have to unmount and remount the puma on my passenger side. What's the contraption hanging off the air outlet for?

Nice work. Is that the norm to run the ground all the way back to the battery on these compressors, or just how you wanted to have it?

Nice work. Is that the norm to run the ground all the way back to the battery on these compressors, or just how you wanted to have it?

This - why not just use the vehicle as a ground? I've run amplifiers with huge amounts of current draw and, as long as you beef up the chassis ground in the engine bay (or wherever your batteries are), the body should be more than sufficient for a wimpy compressor

Ive got way too much crap running through that grommet. Maybe its time to add another entry through the firewall.

Battery all wired and ready to go. Got my cable upgrade kit installed! well except for the new starter cable, that thing is a b***h to get to.
I connected the ground to the battery as personal preference, I do the same when I wire up winches.

IMG_4463.JPG

Good bye seats and hello spare tire and Puma Compressor!

IMG_4469.JPG

Puma all plugged in and running perfectly! No leaks no issues! Note: Be sure to read your manual! It requires you run the compressor at no load for 5 minutes before actual operation. No Load meaning open the drain valve or leave the quick connect fittings off.

IMG_4464.JPG

Close up explanation of my changes to the compressor:

1) I removed the tank gauge and put in a 90 degree fitting and reattached the gauge. This allows me to easily read the pressure when operating from the rear hatch.

2) Instead of using the singe quick connect fitting provided I put in a "T" fitting so that I can easily attach an air hose from the rear hatch or the rear quarter sliding window. IF I had simply installed the provided quick connect it would he the quarter panel, rendering the unit useless.

IMG_4465.JPG

Access to 2nd quick connect from rear quater sliding glass:

IMG_4466.JPG

You can also see where the Anderson Plugs mate in the picture above.

Cheers! I'll update after its first use this weekend.

Nice job, did you use the 50 Watt Anderson plugs?

Clean, tight, and done right! :cheers:

Aren't these compressors like $150? How fast can a puma air up four 37s from 10-30psi or run a nail gun continuously at a job site? This is getting tempting/interesting...

More like $240 for the 12 volt but pretty impressive

$227 plus $122 shipping to Canada. I'm trying to convince myself.

No third row seats seats means I don't have the proper mounting points for the bracket, but I really want the compressor.

$227 plus $122 shipping to Canada. I'm trying to convince myself.

No third row seats seats means I don't have the proper mounting points for the bracket, but I really want the compressor.

Check into Point to Point Parcel
I just shipped some Puma mounts to CDN using them with a big savings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom